Wireless Access

IPSec throughput in RAP mode

Hello

In order to make some design decisions I'd like to know the max IPSec throughput of Aruba APs. I've been looking for a table or something like that but can't find one? Do you have any info of the sort?

Thanks a lot

Regards

Samuel Pérez
ACMP, ACCP, ACDX#100

---

If I answerd your question, please click on "Accept as Solution".
If you find this post useful, give me kudos for it ;)
Aruba

Re: IPSec throughput in RAP mode

Typical max encrypted throughput for RAP platforms:

- RAP-2: 4Mbps

- RAP-3: 20Mbps

- RAP-5: 80Mbps

/Onno

Thanks, What about APs 93, 105 and 135?

Regards
Samuel Pérez
ACMP, ACCP, ACDX#100

---

If I answerd your question, please click on "Accept as Solution".
If you find this post useful, give me kudos for it ;)
Aruba

10, 15 and 40Mbps (in that order)

/Onno

Oharms, good post and information thanks for sharing it

But i got a few quetisons for you

When you say maximum ipsec throughput do you mean the maximum throughput i willl get for the clients behind the rap?

let say for example

If i got 5 users behidn a rap 2 they will have a maximum thoughput of 4mbs? or it will be  4 mbs minus the ipsec overhead?

----------------------------------------------------
Product Manager - Aruba Networks
Alternetworks Corp
Aruba

The numbers I mentioned are what's available to the clients. Note that the additional IPSec overhead is marginal.

/Onno

i suppose this is 4mbs downstream and 4 mbs upstream right?

Alternetworks Corp

also im needing this infor for design...

This is my last question

how many users behind rap2, rap3 and rap 5 is recommended(wired and wireless combined)?

at least im thinking that for rap2 it would be no more than 4 or 5...just to give an example...

Alternetworks Corp
Aruba

I don't have any official numbers to respond to this yet (will try to obtain those), but as a guideline I would suggest 5, 20 and 50. The hard limit in SW is 255, but this is not a useful number in any practical deployment.

/Onno

Hello Oharms

You know i had a case open about this

And as you said there is no official documentation that tell you anything about this.   IT is too much issue to request this test for official numbers to aruba?

The tac engineer told me that it depends on the throughput for example if i got 20 users behind the rap2 they will share an uplink of 4 mbs which okay i understand that but i was insisting him that what about the hardwre? does rap2 hardware support that many user going through ?

We were needing this for quoting some clients but its really hard to tell i guess... i mean the price from a rap2 to rap 5 is a lot...

Rap3 is not available as the firmware is not available yet and even if you get the firmwre which is a beta, is not recommended for production enviroments....So then we cant sell rap3 yet...

And as you though for the site that has 20 users  i though in a rap3 but we cannot sll it yet hehe

This numbers can help in quoting... does not need to be exact just like dont put more than X ammount of users... or something like it a guidance will help...

I think RAP is just a GREAT device, as like i have said to many clients its simple, the deployment its simple, the maintanice is simple everything is simple with RAPs... less money is needed for operation, as anyone can deploy the rap, and if something happen to it and it need to be replace then anyone can put it, is not like with a firewall that it might be more complicated....

I really like raps and i wish i can start selling and installing  a lot of those :)

Alternetworks Corp
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: