Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Indoor APS on Outdoor Enclosures

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Indoor APS on Outdoor Enclosures

Posted Jul 21, 2013 09:29 PM

Has anyone tried this?

Its like a economic way to go outdoor though... when you don tneed to cover that much.

There are AP enclosures for outdoor to protect indoors AP from dust, extreme heat, rain etc etc.

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: Indoor APS on Outdoor Enclosures

Posted Jul 21, 2013 10:45 PM
    We implemented something like that to provide wireless access in a balcony using an AP135 and so far its been over a year and no issues but I noticed about a 5%-7% reduction on the signal with the weather enclosure we used.

• 3.  RE: Indoor APS on Outdoor Enclosures

Posted Jul 21, 2013 10:51 PM

Yeah i though in something like this

The thing is that the provider of the enclousures  told me that they are done with special materials to do not reduce the signal...(it is true? i dont know...)

This are the ones that we are looking

http://www.terra-wave.com/shop/12-x-10-x-4-enclosure-with-solid-door-latch-locks-no-holes-universal-backplate-p-2063.html 

The thing is that there is no ventilation which i dont know if that overheat the AP?

What is the temperature there where put those APS with enclosures? here well it can go up to 35 C soemtimes...  but the enclosure says that it protect it from overheats....

I mean if this works correctly this would help a lot in selling some outdoors solution as this is a way more cheapers than bying outdoors APs.

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: Indoor APS on Outdoor Enclosures

Posted Jul 21, 2013 11:19 PM
    We didn't use nothing fancy it was actually hand made , so im sure you should be good with the terrawave enclosure .

For the most part we have cold weather but during the summer we tend to get 34.5 .

We went this route because it was requested at the last minute but usually we use an AP134 with an ANT-17 external antenna .

• 5.  RE: Indoor APS on Outdoor Enclosures

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 21, 2013 11:29 PM

@NightShade1 wrote:

Yeah i though in something like this

The thing is that the provider of the enclousures  told me that they are done with special materials to do not reduce the signal...(it is true? i dont know...)

This are the ones that we are looking

http://www.terra-wave.com/shop/12-x-10-x-4-enclosure-with-solid-door-latch-locks-no-holes-universal-backplate-p-2063.html 

The thing is that there is no ventilation which i dont know if that overheat the AP?

What is the temperature there where put those APS with enclosures? here well it can go up to 35 C soemtimes...  but the enclosure says that it protect it from overheats....

I mean if this works correctly this would help a lot in selling some outdoors solution as this is a way more cheapers than bying outdoors APs.

Cheers

Carlos

Carlos,

That is the thing:

The enclosure itself can be subjected to higher temperatures, but that does not mean it will keep the access point itself within the proper temperatures.  I suggest you email the vendor you would like to select about your concerns, so that they can say specifically what their product can and cannot do.

Also, if you are putting antennas outside, even if they are connected to internal access points,   you STILL need to ensure that they are properly grounded and have lightning arrestors to deal with those situations that could damage your infrastructure.

When dealing with outdoor access points, the cost to deploy and maintain them could easily be more than what the access point costs in the first place.  That is why users who deploy outdoor access points want a solution where they put them up and do not have to touch them to avoid costly maintenence.  The outdoor MIMO VRD tells you everything that you need to look out for when deploying outdoors, and much of it is still valuable for your situation.

• 6.  RE: Indoor APS on Outdoor Enclosures

Posted Jul 21, 2013 11:34 PM

Yes i already emailed them about my concerns...

But the client wanted two options

1-Outdoor

2-Indoor with enclosure

He knows that the outdoor itselft cost a way more so thats why i guess he wanted the other quote also...

ill take a look to that vrd

Cheers

Carlos