Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Installing Air Monitors

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  Installing Air Monitors

Posted Sep 19, 2011 01:27 AM
    Hi there,
    Quick question on AM vs AP...
    The current network I inherited has over 80 AP61's - with none of them configured as AM. They are all configured as AP's (not AM or Sensor Mode) - via the Profile.

Looking for some clarity on the following:
    From reading...the AP's will spend a portion of their time doing AM scanning on their own channel - correct?
    Even though they are set as AP - they must be doing some AM work otherwise I would not see the rogue or interfering AP's in the console - correct (or not???)

I assume they will not by default do scanning on alternative channels?

If i was to deploy dedicated AP's as AM in their profile (say 1 or 2 per floor as determined by RF Plan) - would the controller "know" these exist and the exisiting AP61's only be permanent AP's?

I assume this is the case - otherwise what advantage do I get by deploying AM's in the first place?

Any info appreciated..

Wally

• 2.  RE: Installing Air Monitors

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 19, 2011 07:36 AM

Hi there,
    Quick question on AM vs AP...
    The current network I inherited has over 80 AP61's - with none of them configured as AM. They are all configured as AP's (not AM or Sensor Mode) - via the Profile.

Looking for some clarity on the following:
    From reading...the AP's will spend a portion of their time doing AM scanning on their own channel - correct?
    Even though they are set as AP - they must be doing some AM work otherwise I would not see the rogue or interfering AP's in the console - correct (or not???)

I assume they will not by default do scanning on alternative channels?

If i was to deploy dedicated AP's as AM in their profile (say 1 or 2 per floor as determined by RF Plan) - would the controller "know" these exist and the exisiting AP61's only be permanent AP's?

I assume this is the case - otherwise what advantage do I get by deploying AM's in the first place?

Any info appreciated..

Wally

- APs that serve clients do spend a portion of time scanning other channels, by default
    - Access points will report on clients that they see on the same or different channels, when they scan those other channels, when configured as regular APs.
    - They do this by default
    - To deploy AMs, you would create a new AP-Group (configuration> Wireless> AP Configuration> New> Type the New Name of your group). Edit that AP-Group and expand RF Management> click on 802.11g profile. In the right pane, change the Mode from AP-Mode to AM-mode. Click on "Save As" in the top right corner, and the box next to New type "AM", and then click on Apply in the lower right hand corner. That just created a new ap-group called "AM" and when you move AP-s into this ap-group, they will scan, ONLY. Move AP-s into this group by going to configuration> Wireless> AP Installation. Click on the checkbox next to the AP you want to move and click on the provision button. At the top middle of the screen, change the group to AM. Go all the way to the lower right hand corner of the screen and click on "Apply and Reboot" to move the AP.
    - The reason to deploy AMs is to provide dedicated IDS/IPS for rogue AP detection and protection
    - It is recommended that if you have this requirement, that you deploy 1 AM for each 4 or 5 APs.
    - An easier way to automatically deploy AMs is by enabling the ARM Mode AWARE checkbox that you mentioned before. APs will be changed into AMs based on where the controller thinks there is too much coverage. You can always uncheck it to reverse the process.

• 3.  RE: Installing Air Monitors

Posted Sep 19, 2011 08:35 AM
    so even when adding dedicted AMs...the existing AP's will still switch to AM mode at times and scan off channel?

In otherwords - adding AM's will not increase performance of the AP's - but provide better IPS/IDS if required?

• 4.  RE: Installing Air Monitors

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 19, 2011 08:42 AM
    Adding dedicated Air monitors allows you to provide rogue AP protection. Please see the document here: http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/tb_air_monitors.pdf

• 5.  RE: Installing Air Monitors

Posted Feb 21, 2013 08:30 AM

Hello,

I realise I am about to ask a very basic (probably) question. But is the best practice for AM installation to have them on trunks and native the access vlan? In a HD deployed network that I support, the AM's are on access switchports. If I understand correctly, AM's should be on trunk ports and have wired visibility too all broadcast domains for rogue detection. Is this correct? If there is a dedicated support document on this, I would appreciate a link to it.

Thanks.

• 6.  RE: Installing Air Monitors

Posted Feb 22, 2013 01:31 PM

Your AM will need to see the broadcasts on all vlans in order to detect rogues.

Rouges= on the wire and over the air.

But there you do not need to trunk all vlans to each and every AM. As long as each vlan is trunked to an AM your good to go.