Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Instant APs vs controller & APs

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Instant APs vs controller & APs

Posted May 16, 2014 02:17 PM

I've been told that instant APs can be downgraded to work with controllers, and that there is basically no cost difference between AP and IAP models.  I've also been told that licenses are not needed with the IAP as it is already included.  We are currently controller-based, but may be moving to an instant platorm in the future (basically due to our controllers not being able to support future AOS releases).  I have a few questions:

If an IAP is downgraded, can it be converted back to IAP in the future?

Will downgrading an IAP still require a license on the controller?  I'm assuming yes as it would be just like a "regular" AP.

• 2.  RE: Instant APs vs controller & APs
    Best Answer

Posted May 16, 2014 02:20 PM

Yes you can convert back and forth between controller based and Instant. You will need the license like you said to be a controller based AP

• 3.  RE: Instant APs vs controller & APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2014 02:22 PM

To answer your questions:

1. The price is the same for IAP or CAP (non-IAP version)

2. The APs aren't "downgraded" per se. They are converted to be CAPs.  In this mode, they are told the controller's IP address and then join the controller just as any AP you have provisioned in the past.

3. If the APs are converted to CAPs, they can be converted back to IAPs.  There is a reset button on the AP that you can use a paper clip to reset it back to an IAP mode.

4. If you convert an IAP, it will require a license on the controller

• 4.  RE: Instant APs vs controller & APs

Posted Sep 29, 2014 04:44 AM

what is the main difference between use  IAP and use controller, if IAP can do everything ,why custom will pay more money on controller.

I can't understand.

• 5.  RE: Instant APs vs controller & APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 29, 2014 07:15 AM
    Scaling, redundancy, network configuration.

• 6.  RE: Instant APs vs controller & APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2014 02:23 PM

Be aware of the minimum AOS version on controllers needed to convert your particular model to be controller based.  It is at the end of the data sheet.

• 7.  RE: Instant APs vs controller & APs

Posted May 18, 2014 02:29 PM
    you also won't have as many "knobs" to tune on an instant platform but nonetheless it all depends what your use case is and business model is.

• 8.  RE: Instant APs vs controller & APs

Posted May 18, 2014 09:32 PM

@pmonardo wrote:
    you also won't have as many "knobs" to tune on an instant platform but nonetheless it all depends what your use case is and business model is.

For this reason I would suggest contacting your SE and ask to borrow an IAP for testing.  This will allow you to get familiar with how they work and if they're a right fit for you org.

• 9.  RE: Instant APs vs controller & APs

Posted May 19, 2014 12:21 PM

Thanks.  They have actually provided us with a couple of IAP to test, but I haven't really had time to jump in and do much more than set an SSID and PSK for testing.  The interface was just different enough to give me some hesitation.

My SE is coming in to give us a POC on the instant products - unfortunately it's been rescheduled a couple of times.

My understanding is that our current equipment (620 controllers and AP93 and AP105) will basically be excluded from future AOS upgrades and added features (maybe starting with 6.4.x),

I've exhausted my current supply of 105s, so I'd rather start ordering the AP115s.  We've been advised to just start ordering the IAP since they will work with our existing environment as well as enable us to move to controller-less in the future.

• 10.  RE: Instant APs vs controller & APs

Posted May 19, 2014 02:44 PM

How big is your deployment?