Wireless Access

Regular Contributor I

Instant APs vs controller & APs

I've been told that instant APs can be downgraded to work with controllers, and that there is basically no cost difference between AP and IAP models.  I've also been told that licenses are not needed with the IAP as it is already included.  We are currently controller-based, but may be moving to an instant platorm in the future (basically due to our controllers not being able to support future AOS releases).  I have a few questions:

If an IAP is downgraded, can it be converted back to IAP in the future?

Will downgrading an IAP still require a license on the controller?  I'm assuming yes as it would be just like a "regular" AP.

Community Administrator

Re: Instant APs vs controller & APs

Yes you can convert back and forth between controller based and Instant. You will need the license like you said to be a controller based AP

CWNA, ACMP, Security +
Aruba

To answer your questions:

1. The price is the same for IAP or CAP (non-IAP version)

2. The APs aren't "downgraded" per se. They are converted to be CAPs.  In this mode, they are told the controller's IP address and then join the controller just as any AP you have provisioned in the past.

3. If the APs are converted to CAPs, they can be converted back to IAPs.  There is a reset button on the AP that you can use a paper clip to reset it back to an IAP mode.

4. If you convert an IAP, it will require a license on the controller

Seth R. Fiermonti
Consulting Systems Engineer - ACCX, ACDX, ACMX
Email: seth@hpe.com
-----
If you found my post helpful, please give kudos
Aruba

Be aware of the minimum AOS version on controllers needed to convert your particular model to be controller based.  It is at the end of the data sheet.

If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
mclarke@arubanetworks.com
MVP

you also won't have as many "knobs" to tune on an instant platform but nonetheless it all depends what your use case is and business model is.
Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACMP
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]
MVP

pmonardo wrote:
you also won't have as many "knobs" to tune on an instant platform but nonetheless it all depends what your use case is and business model is.

For this reason I would suggest contacting your SE and ask to borrow an IAP for testing.  This will allow you to get familiar with how they work and if they're a right fit for you org.

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
Regular Contributor I

Thanks.  They have actually provided us with a couple of IAP to test, but I haven't really had time to jump in and do much more than set an SSID and PSK for testing.  The interface was just different enough to give me some hesitation.

My SE is coming in to give us a POC on the instant products - unfortunately it's been rescheduled a couple of times.

My understanding is that our current equipment (620 controllers and AP93 and AP105) will basically be excluded from future AOS upgrades and added features (maybe starting with 6.4.x),

I've exhausted my current supply of 105s, so I'd rather start ordering the AP115s.  We've been advised to just start ordering the IAP since they will work with our existing environment as well as enable us to move to controller-less in the future.

MVP

How big is your deployment?

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
New Contributor

what is the main difference between use  IAP and use controller, if IAP can do everything ,why custom will pay more money on controller.

I can't understand.

Guru Elite

Re: Instant APs vs controller

Scaling, redundancy, network configuration.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: