Wireless Access

MVP

Intel 7260 + VHT disconnects

[ Edited ]

I'm working through this issue right now with TAC, but would like to reach out to the community to see if anyone else is seeing this.

We're seeing several disconnects a day for (Win7) Dell laptops w/ Intel 7260s when VHT is enabled on AP-225s.  The user notices being dropped from the WLAN and attempts to reconnect by clicking the wireless icon in Windows.  However, the SSID they were connected to disappears from the network list.  The user has to reboot their laptop in order to reconnect.  In a 2 day long test, VHT was disabled, and the disconnects stopped.  I'm working with TAC now figuring out if there is some combination of VHT and disabling another function to get clients working properly.

I captured the issue in Omnipeek and noticed the disconnect occurs when the client receives a probe request and attempts a roam.  I see the Auth from the client, and several retransmits, but no ACK from the AP.  The client tries again and finally gets an ACK, then Auth success from the AP, but the client starts Auth over.  The client just seems to get stuck attempting to Auth, but never gets passed this phase.  I don't understand how this can be tied to VHT being disabled since Auth is obviously not just part of the 11ac spec.  The other possibility is that disabling VHT never solved the issue, and it was just a fluke that clients didn't disconnect during my test.

If you google Intel 7260 there's actually a ton of complaints regarding disconnects and flat out being unable to connect to an 11ac network.  I've tried many different Intel drivers, including the ones straight from Intel (not Dell) and not seeing any improvement. Currently on version 17.0.5.8, but have not tried the latest driver (17.13.11) straight from Intel.  I'm going to disable WMM U-APSD tonight to see if this improves anything based on a TAC suggestion, but I worry about the sides effects of clients reverting to PS Poll mode.  Hoping to see some positive improvements as we are in the process of migrating many users to laptops with the Intel 7260 chipset.

Anyone going through the same issue now?

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
Guru Elite

Re: Intel 7260 + VHT disconnects

I saw this issue with pre-17.x drivers on the 7260.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Guru Elite

thecompnerd,

Please message me the TAC case# so that we can take a second look.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

MVP

Messaged.  Thanks!

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
MVP

I also saw this with pre 17.x drivers as well, however I've seen it stabilize even more as the drivers have been updated. I'm currently running 17.13.x on my laptop with the AC7260 and it's been rock solid, so you might give it a shot.

ACDX #419 | ACMP |
MVP

Thans tsd25108.

I intended to run the 17.13 drivers, then forgot that I advised my test clients not to upgrade until we had fully tested WLAN infrastructure changes.  Trying to limit 1 change at a time for testing/verification purposes.  When I posted this, I forgot that we are still on 17.0 drivers from the middle of 2014.  So I've asked one test client to upgrade to 17.13 drivers to see if they have any improvement.

I have a good contact at Dell, so I'm reaching out to them as well to see if they have any reports of this and if they plan to release a more up to date driver.  For whatever reason, they're far behind in releases in comparison to the OEM drivers Intel puts out.  We'll the OEM driver a shot for now.

MVP

Well, turns out one of my test candidates did upgrade their drivers to the 17.13 drivers from December 2014, and they're still experiencing disconnects.  They had UAPSD disabled for some reason, so I enabled it and verified the chipset won't turn off under power management settings.  We'll see if that makes a bit of difference...

MVP

[ Edited ]

This thread has come just at the right time.

Customer escalation complaining of frequent disconnections and guess what Intel Dual-band 7260AC chipset running 16.1.3.1 as the driver.

We are in the process of seeing if the issue can be replicated then will try with 17.13 as suggested above

EDIT: the network is running IAP-225s, VHT is not enabled.

Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACMP
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]
MVP

From all the reading I've done, it seems like the 16.X drivers were especially bad.  Hope the latest drivers are helpful to you!

Please post back if it doesn't help.  Would be good to compare setups if you still have issues.

Guru Elite

Everyone on this thread, I am assuming that 802.11k is disabled, right? It is not enabled by default.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: