Wireless Access

Guru Elite

Re: Intel 7260 + VHT disconnects

lee_d_m wrote:
Seeing disconnect and roaming issues here with 7260-N and 7265-N cards and AP-215s with VHT enabled on the SSID.

Clients frequently roaming and moving back to 2.4ghz even with driver set to prefer 5ghz and client connected at -60 or better.

Did anyone get to the bottom of the issues with these cards ?

Thanks

Lee

To be honest, you have a fair question for this thread "Did anyone get to the bottom of issue with these cards?"

Your other description, like clients roaming to the 2.4ghz could mean that there is not enough power separation between the 2.4ghz and 5ghz  band.  The 5ghz should be 3 to 6 dbm stronger than the 2.4ghz band to ensure that clients do not favor the 2.4ghz band, in general.  It might not be an Intel Issue.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Hello,

Over a year later and this still looks to be an issue.  I have several computers (~12) using the Intel AC 7260.  This specific vendor is still selling PCs with the AC 7260 as an option.  Over the past couple months, some of these computers have started to experience intermittent connectivity issues like what has been posted in this thread.

Here’s what I’m experiencing:

• After a reboot, the PC connects to the wireless SSID fine.  I start a constant ping from the PC to one of the Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8).  But from anywhere from 5-60mins (varies) the connection will stop passing traffic (ping times out with Destination unreachable.)
  • After the disconnect, the wireless icon in the taskbar will continue to say connected, even though nothing is pingable, not even it’s gateway.  Soon after, the infamous yellow "!" shows up.
  •  If I then try and switch from that SSID to another (like my cell phone's hotspot), the connection icon turns to a red “X” and says that there are no networks available.
  • If I reboot the PC, the connection connects as expected, but again quits passing traffic within 5-60mins.
  •  I’ve checked Event Viewer and there are no errors listed, other than not being able to connect to a DNS or NTP server, which is expected if the network connection drops.  Otherwise, there are no errors prior to or after the connection quits passing traffic, or when it switches to the red “X”.

Here’s what I’ve done to test this issue:

• Completely wiped the hard drive and installed 64bit Windows 7 from scratch, installing all the manufacturer's drivers listed here:  https://www.logicsupply.com/ml210g-10/#specs
  • Did not apply any Windows patches or 3rd party applications at this point because I wanted a vanilla baseline to test on. I also wanted to ensure there wasn’t a Microsoft patch that was interfering with the adapter. I currently have some of these PCs running just fine on my wireless network, but some have started to experience this issue. So I was thinking something must have changed on these PCs to suddenly stop working.
  • I created a new WPA2 wireless connection with default settings (Using Aruba IAP access points.)
  • After experiencing the issue with the above setup, I eliminated my wireless network from the equation by connecting to my cell phone’s hot spot (Samsung Galaxy S6 using the stock hotspot settings.) Same issue with this setup.
  • I’ve turned off the setting “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”.
  • I’ve made sure that the Power Saving Mode for the “Wireless Adapter Settings” is set to “Maximum Performance”. 
  • Tried to change the various settings on the client's adapter.
    • Forcing to either 2.4 or 5
    • Disabling VHT (This does seem to make the connection more stable, but eventually disconnects.)
    • Disabling WMM
    • Rolling back to older drivers...(as old as 17.13.1.13)
  • Rolled back my Aruba firmware to 6.4.4.8-4.2.4.5
  • Installed a newer, Standard (instead of Conservative) version of Aruba firmware (6.5.2.0)

Nothing seems to resolve this issue.  Because I eliminated Aruba from the equation and still experienced issues, this really points the finger at Intel.  Because I have several of these PCs and only a couple have started to act like this, could it be faulty hardware?  (Chipset's failing?)

After doing a Google search, this looks to be a rampant issue as it's been around for about 5yrs with no clear resolution.

Guru Elite

Please check for the latest driver here:  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005559.html?wapkw=intel+driver+versions

Which version were you testing with?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Most of my testing has been with that version (18.33.7.2).  Only until I read the 15 pages here did I start rolling back to 17.13.1.13, as well as 18.12.0 and 18.20.0.

All had the same results.

New Contributor

We have the same on going issue for multiple years, the only sollution we have been able to establish is to shut off HT and VHT. This solves the disconnect issues though it does limit the clients to a maximum of 54Mb

Guru Elite

Timothy Patrick wrote:

We have the same on going issue for multiple years, the only sollution we have been able to establish is to shut off HT and VHT. This solves the disconnect issues though it does limit the clients to a maximum of 54Mb

That is unacceptable. The majority of customers that we have run on Intel and they do not have to do this. When you have the time, I encourage you need to open a TAC case so that you can drill down on the issue in your environment and what is causing it. I am locking this thread because it has become a catch all bogeyman for disconnects in networks that happen to be running Intel products. Feel free to open a thread of your own with specifics so that we can attempt to get to the bottom of it. Intel would not be in business if this is not solved.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: