Wireless Access

MVP

Re: Intel 7260 VHT disconnects

No specific tests since I can't seem to recreate the issue on demand.  Enable user debug and gather Windows WLAN Autoconfig event log so you can track the times they're having issues and verify it's the same issue each time.

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
MVP

jgoff wrote:

For 7260 and AP225, the following needs to be true as of now to minimise problems like lost WLANS, ! icons, stalls, disconnections etc.

>> client must be on latest 17.x driver

>> ArubaOS must be 6.4.2.3  or higher (i.e. prefer 6.4.2.4 right now) - absolutely cannot be less than 6.4.2.3 unless its the HDMS load but that's a longer story.

>> ensure features like 11k are not enabled

>> disable wmm-uapsd in the SSID profiles

>> Disable VHT in the client supplicant if you are seeing "!" icon, missing WLAN ssids etc, until Intel has a fix

regards

-jeff

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Currently testing 17.13 drivers w/ UAPSD disabled on the client side.  Will report back after several days of testing.

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.

pmonardo wrote:
Hi Jeff,

Would you leave HT mode on HT instead of VHT or have it disabled completely?

hi Pasquale

sorry for the late response, in the customer in question, yes just VHT disabled, HT was left enabled.

regards

-jeff

MVP

No worries.

I'll see tomorrow how the instant cluster with this chipset behaves
Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACMP
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]
MVP

Does Aruba report these issues to Intel? I don't feel like if I complain to
Intel my voice will be heard. Seems for effective coming from a large
company such as Aruba. Very frustrating because this is the only 11ac
chipset we have in laptops and can't even take advantage of it as long as
VHT is disabled.
MVP

Good question.
I wonder whether the financial institution I am dealing with will escalate to Intel as well, not only Aruba.

Found it odd that when I mentioned driver issue, I got crickets in response.
ACDX #420 | ACMP

Aruba does have a channel to report issues to all the chipset vendors, for these 11ac issues I am not sure what has been the dialogue. Having said that, not every issue is the chipset vendor (ap or client) there are Aruba's issues too. Issues are also not necessarily caused by an actual bug - some are misinterpretations of the standard and some are unforseen interop issues due to features like scanning, powersave etc.

By all means have your end users raise up their issues - likely they will go to the laptop vendor that they are using.

In the case of disabling VHT, just to clarify, this was mentioned to me by a customer as stopping the supplicant lockup/loss of WLAN ssids - whose bug it is to fix may require longer to determine and I shouldn't speculate too much since we have not reproduced it internally as far as I know (I know we tried as a result of the customer who mentioned the VHT disable to us). But, if it works for you too, then in the interim use it while waiting for it to be fixed because the symptom is quite annoying.

Sorry if that all sounds a tad disclaimer-ish ;)

regards

-jeff

MVP

Little update for everyone.

Running 3 different laptops with 3 different cards

Samsung Laptop with
Wifi card -> Intel centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN
Driver -> 15.0.0.75

HP laptop with
Wifi Card -> Broadcom 43224AG 802.11a/bg/n
Driver -> 5.60.350.23

The problematic laptop (Dell) with
Wifi card Intel dual-band wireless-AC 7260
Driver -> 17.13.11.5
HT mode -> HT
U-APSD -> disabled

Both Dells disconnected but after looking at the WLAN Auto config logs, both showed key exchange issues for the disconnection reason.

The Samsung is going strong for close to 2 hours now.

The SSID is a WPA2-PSK AES encrypted one.

More to follow
ACDX #420 | ACMP
MVP

Update

Testing went fine with the new driver.
We lost internet access to the site (grrr DSL)

Overall looking at the wlan control logs i see this one time.

WLAN AutoConfig service failed to connect to a wireless network.

Network Adapter: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
Interface GUID: {9326c4fc-62d4-4aff-ab74-7ab97d004b69}
Connection Mode: Automatic connection with a profile
Profile Name: BMobile
SSID: BMobile
BSS Type: Infrastructure
Failure Reason:Security failed.

Overall, I think more testing is required but I am curious about the security failed error. need to look more into it.
ACDX #420 | ACMP
Contributor I

Re: Intel 7260 + VHT disconnects

I am late to the show, and I didn't have the exact same symptoms, but here goes:

I purchased a Dell with an Intel 7260 AC late last year, and I have was having issue with experiencing almost 100% packet loss with the device. There were known Quiet IE problems with the chip and many driver updates failed to fix it, but I didn't think the problem would affect me because I always had 802.11k disabled.

I found that the only way to fix the issue was uncheck "Advertise Quiet IE" in the RRM IE settings. I had always ignored these settings because I thought that having "Advertise 802.11K capability" unchecked meant these settings were disabled.

Doesn't sound like exactly your issue, but I use this laptop daily now and have not had a problem at all since that. (6.4.2.3 code, unknown recent 17.x Intel driver).

Aaron

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: