Wireless Access

MVP

Re: Intel 7260 + VHT disconnects

Thanks Alamey.

It is odd because users can sustain a connection for 3+ hours then suddenly drop off, have to reboot their laptop in order to see and connect to the SSID again.

The financial company I am dealing with does not want to upgrade the drivers just yet without more testing.

I will give the setting you mention a shot and see if it makes a difference.

Again I am on an instant network, 80211k disabled.

What was discovered yesterday that blows my mind is that this network is over 3 floors with ~30 IAP-225s, the 3rd floor when the user pings yahoo.com suffers massive packet loss and high ping times but going down to the 1st and 2nd floors this is issue is not apparent.

Even on the new drivers and the limited testing they still get disconnected but I may have to change the "Advertise Quiet IE" like you mentioned.

HT mode is already set to HT and not VHT.
Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACMP
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]
MVP

Pasquale,

Our symptoms are very similar to yours.  Only after rebooting will their computer reconnect.

We're still seeing disconnects on 17.13.11 drivers with UAPSD disabled in the client drivers. As suggested by TAC, I will disable it from the SSID profile to see if that has any effect.  If not, it seems like we'll be turning off VHT on our APs.

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
MVP

I don't even have VHT enabled on the IAPs and I am using 20 mhz on the 5ghz.

I'll let you know how it goes
ACDX #420 | ACMP
MVP

Just realized that after re-reading your post.  Very odd, as I was fairly confident that resolved our issue in initial testing.

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
MVP

Nope not in ours it seems.

There are a multitude of issues at this location. It would seem the problematic ones come from a Dell Latitude 7240 using the bad chipset whereas the Dell Latitude 7440 doesn't have this problem but it's like pulling teeth to find out which driver and chipset that laptop is using.

There is also roughly anywhere between 90 and 120 users on the Wi-Fi at any point all using a pipe of 12Mbps/1Mbps but that's a separate issue. I am monitoring the WAN throughput to see if it is getting maxed out.
2 SSIDs, where 80% of the users are on the SSID not using external captive portal and mostly using VPN

Removed DFS channels, reduced power to 12-18, no VHT, no 40Mhz channels.

On the 7240 laptop using the 7260 AC chipset, driver version is at 17.13.11 with HT mode set to HT.
I need that person who has that laptop to constantly test but that laptop is not an "employee's" laptop it is a test laptop.

I will try disabling VHT on one of the employee's laptops today to see if it helps.
ACDX #420 | ACMP
MVP

here is an update.

User's connection drops
Instant still shows user connected, laptop still says connected.

User cannot surf anywhere.

ACDX #420 | ACMP
Guru Elite

Something that may help in troubleshooting this is Microsoft Message Analyzer.

It can both capture network drive and capture driver state messages from the OS at the same time. Very handy for this type of stuff.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44226

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Contributor I

[ Edited ]

Pasquale,

I saw this issue on my 7260AC in a niche situation last December. At the time, I was running 6.4.2.2 and the AP I was connecting to was the AP-205 with a 7210 controller. The Intel driver was the one that came out before 17.13.11.5

It has not reappeared after updating my 7210 controllers to 6.4.2.3 and upgrading to Intel 17.13.11.5. Sorry for changing two things before checking if it fixed the problem. :)

Hope that is in anyway helpful,

Aaron

Edit: Added the fact I changed the Intel Driver versions.

MVP

Thanks Alamey.

My network uses Aruba Instant with 225s.

Seems as though the SSID did not disappear after setting the HT mode to HT (from VHT).
ACDX #420 | ACMP
MVP

user got disconnect and wireless stopped working.

even on the new drivers with HT mode set to HT.
Going to try and disable UAPSD then uncheck "Advertise Quiet IE" in the RRM IE settings
ACDX #420 | ACMP
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: