Wireless Access

Re: Intel 7260 + VHT disconnects

Well, I've decided against disabling U-APSD on the WLAN side with VHT mode enabled.  We're a Lync deployment and I'm not sold on the idea of reverting to power save polling where WMM is not applied to queued voice packets.  I don't have the best test-bed for determining if there is a noticeable difference in voice quality with/without U-APSD enabled, so I think I will error on the side of caution and run HT mode with U-APSD enabled as I didn't seem to have disconnects then.  Will be testing all next week in this config to be sure we don't have any more disconnects.

Pasquale, I don't believe you'll see any benefit from disabling advertise quite IE if 802.11K is disabled.

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
Contributor I

thecompnerd wrote:

Pasquale, I don't believe you'll see any benefit from disabling advertise quite IE if 802.11K is disabled.

That is what I thought as well, but the TAC engineer told me to do it, and it worked. :)

Actually I can't disable that setting, doesn't exist in IAPs, only controllers.
Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACMP
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]

alamey wrote:

thecompnerd wrote:

That is what I thought as well, but the TAC engineer told me to do it, and it worked. :)

Aaron,

Very odd.  I wonder if that means the user guide is incorrect?  I setup an OTA capture and I'm not seeing this advertised in the beacon or in probe responses.  Really bugging me...

Although your issue is a bit different, it shouldn't hurt to disable quiet IE.  It's purpose is for radar detection, but we aren't running DFS channels yet.

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.

I haven't heard of any issues today.

I have asked them to try the Open SSID with the test laptop to see if it makes any difference.
I am wondering whether the re-keying of WPA2 is causing issues with this chipset as I see "security failed" messages in the WLAN windows logs.

Aruba is also looking into it with me so I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks,
Pasquale
ACDX #420 | ACMP

Wanted to mention that this customer also has carbon copy setups in other buildings using the same model laptops and wifi chipsets and i have not heard of issues at those buildings.

that's a head scratcher
ACDX #420 | ACMP

Hey guys,

have you seen this before?

on the VC, I have client match enabled, VHT and wide-channel bands disabled but on the cli running the following command

show ap debug driver-config

I see the following on my APs for example. see attached.

client match -> no value set

Very high throughput enable (radio)                                     Enabled

40 MHz channel usage                                                    Enabled

High throughput enable (SSID)                                           Enabled
40 MHz channel usage                                                    Enabled
Very High throughput enable (SSID)                                      Enabled
80 MHz channel usage (VHT)                                              Enabled

ACDX #420 | ACMP

hi Pasquale

I wouldn't necessarily trust that output...The way I understand it is that the basic config is pushed down to the radio that would be considered "all features enabled" then after that specific tweaks get used to shut down things like VHT and other goodies that apply per BSSID . The same thing is seen in the controller where the radio may appear to be HT enabled but the SSID profile may not be (i.e. ht ssid profile vs. the radio profile).

Admitedly this is a pretty bad explanation :) but certainly I would look for another means to verify, perhaps from the beacons themselves, probe responses or even from some of the other ap debug commands (not sure you can do that on instant so easily, but controller yes).

regards

-jeff

Thanks Jeff.

Good information it's is just a bit misleading when you're troubleshooting and the results you get differ from what is actually configured.

Back to the issue at hand, this has caused a massive escalation with the customer (not fun). More to come from me later.

I've got a tac engineer booked tomorrow to get some pcaps from the wireless side but we are also going to be testing with a freshly imaged windows 7 laptop (non company windows image) to rule out the image.
ACDX #420 | ACMP

More updates, you love it admit it.

2 Laptops.
1 stock windows 7 running version 16.1.3.1
1 customer image windows 7 running 17.13.11 with VHT and U-APSD disabled.

all day connected streaming youtube and doing other various things( roaming , etc ).

the one with the 17.13.11 driver has not locked up and/or lost connection.

The stock laptop dropped off, a reset of the wireless card fixes it.

Pointing more and more to the driver which helps me and my partner isolate and technically have some leverage on changes the customer needs to make
ACDX #420 | ACMP
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: