Wireless Access

Contributor II

Intel Centrino 6205 and AP-225 headaches

Hello,

we recently migrated one building on our campus from AP-135 to AP-225s.

Our old Acer laptops with Broadcom BCM43225 chipsets do not have any problems using the new APs. However, our newer Lenovo ThinkPad T430s have major issues with bad response times, packet loss and intermittent dropouts. The Lenovos use the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 chipset.

I found an article in the Cisco support forums that people are experiencing this issue on Cisco WLAN infrastructure as well:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2125425

The workaround - aside from a possible driver update on the laptops - is to disable Infrastructure MFP (Management Frame Protection) on the WLC.

Is there an equivalent workaround on Aruba as well?

Thanks for your help!

Contributor II

Re: Intel Centrino 6205 and AP-225 headaches

I found that the latest driver update from Lenovo fixes the issue. The driver is dated from the September 25, 2013 and the version number is 16.1.3.

However, I would have liked to address this issue from the infrastructure side as well.

Driver updates on PCs are always a pain and take weeks until every last device gets the software...

Occasional Contributor I

Hi,

We have similar issues with mixed AP's but the same wlan chipsets and using Ubuntu Linux. Is there any news on this? It seems the only workaround to disable '802.11n' for these models, but of course this shouldn't be the final solution.

In our environment not only AP225 but AP105 is affected, so I suppose this is some kind of bug in FW. What are the software version of your controller?

Guru Elite

ipal,

Please open a case with support/TAC if you can.  If you report it and we know of a fix, we can give it to you.  If you report it and there is no fix, we can at least find out what your specific issue is and possibly work with Intel on a Fix.  If the issue is entirely in the Linux driver, there may be no fix.  Either way, at minimum, please give us the opportunity to figure it out in parallel with your forum post.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor II

Hello Ipal,

we have 7200 series controllers running ArubaOS 6.3.1.2 - we need Apple Bonjour services, thats why we are on the ED release.

As for Windows running on Lenovo T430 series laptops, I found that the drivers from June 2013 or newer do not experience those issues. Any version 15.3.1.2 or newer seems to have fixed that problem.

That does not help you running Ubuntu, of course...

Occasional Contributor I

Thank you. A case already open for this because this is a secondary
effect of a possible bug in IAP225 FW after we converted the environment
to controller based.

The case number is: 1498048

Regards
Laszlo
Occasional Contributor I

We are also experiencing the same issue with our clients with Intel 6205 and Intel 7260 NIC. We have a vareity of other NIC combinations in our environment, all of which are working fine.

It seems like the fix for 7260 will be disabling Quiet IE on the controller. Does anybody have any fixes for the issue with 6205 and AP225?

Thanks.

Guru Elite

Navid,

The OP upgraded his drivers and fixed whatever his issue was..and this was almost a year ago.  Did you upgrade your drivers?  Exactly what is your issue?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Users with Intel 6205 and 7260 NICs suddenly stop passing traffic. They are connected to the SSID and are associated to the AP but they cannot pass traffic. They cannot even ping the default gateway.

I have enabled user level debug for some of the users seeing the issue, basically the client sends a "deauth" request to the network and leaves without specifying a reason. A manual reconnect by the user fixes the issue. We have over 30 offices world wide with a combination of AP 105, 135 and 225. We are only seeing this issue where we have AP225s.

Any suggestions is appreciated.

Navid.

Guru Elite

Navid,

Just to make sure we narrow down the issue:

- Does this happen to all the users in the area at a time or a single user
- What encryption are you using?
- How wide are your channels? (20-40-80)
- What version of Aruba OS are you running.

The quiet IE fix is mainly for users who turn on 802.11k (disabled by default)
If it says the client is sending the deauth, that means the clients is leaving or roaming away for some reason

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: