Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor II

Intel dual band wireless-ac 7260 doesn't connect to Aruba captive portal or 802.1x SSID's

We obtained some new Dell E7440 laptops with Intel dual band wireless-ac 7260 wireless cards installed. They would not connect to captive portal for guest access nor to any of our other SSID's using 802.1x.  We got captive portal access by turning off band steering. 

After further testing we were able to turn that back on on the controller and instead turn off the a band on the laptop. By default it is set to a/b/g and we set it to b/g to get it to connect.  Notified Aruba of the issue as well.

Thought this post might help someone that tries using the same chipset and is unable to connect.

FYI,

Ian

Guru Elite

Re: Intel dual band wireless-ac 7260 doesn't connect to Aruba captive portal or 802.1x SSID's

The latest 16.x driver release seems to fix many of the stability issues with the 7260.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Frequent Contributor II

Re: Intel dual band wireless-ac 7260 doesn't connect to Aruba captive portal or 802.1x SSID's

We tried the 16.1.5 driver version and that did not fix the issue. We are running 6.3.1.1 code and also had the issue on 6.1.3.7 code on the controllers. 

Guru Elite

Sorry should have added that the OS is Windows 8.1

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Frequent Contributor II

We found the issues on windows 7 but sounds like win 8.1 doesn't have the issues?

MVP

You might find you're hitting a similar issue to what I've posted about elsewhere. Granted, your adapter is different, but more or less all vendors make these kind of mistake in their haste to get products to market quickly.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/802-11ac-adapters-warning-heads-up/m-p/121489

I've found some AC adapters are shipping internationally with the wrong regional channel settings.

A quick check with something like Inssider will tell you for sure. That's how I confirmed it.

Thanks.

Kudos appreciated, but I'm not hunting! (ACMX 104)
Frequent Contributor II

We hit this issue again but with a different Intel card and Win 8.1.  The card is an Intel Centrino N 6235.  Similar resolution by disabling the A band on the adapter properties

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have spent time with Intel and Aruba on this as I'm experiencing the same issue. After about an hour of explaining to the Aruba guy that the problem wasn't related to enabling/disabling HT/VHT mode on the wifi card, and eventually being able to convince him that disabling the A radio enables connections to be made, we've got a call on hold to arrange for a time to do some further testing. Meanwhile, Dell have agreed to replace the wifi chip with a Broadcom one, since they seem to have experienced problems with the AC 7260. If I can get an agreed RMA date for them, I might not bother with further troubleshooting, but wanted to add my own experience to this thread in case others get the same issue.

Guru Elite

zebulebu,

Do you mind telling us what driver version on the Intel wireless AC 7260?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Pretty much every major (and some minor) revisions I've been able to get my hands on. Laptops shipped with 16.1.0.13, I have tested up to 16.10.0.5

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: