Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Intermittent loss of connectivity, but not association

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Intermittent loss of connectivity, but not association

Posted Mar 31, 2015 09:52 PM
      |   view attached

Hi there, 

I've been working for a few months on improving a deployment I inherited.  We recently used Ekahau Site Survey to figure out where to move the APs, and are seeing generally good performance except when this issue occurs.

The issue:  Client has good RSSI and transmit rate and can pass traffic normally.  Suddenly traffic stops flowing.  The transmit rate drops to 14 and the MCS index to 0, while RSSI stays at the same (acceptable level.)  If you wait 30-60 seconds or turn wifi off and back on, the connection is restored.  It seems to be either localized to an AP, or a single client.  I've observed it occuring 1-3 times during a work day.  

Current environment:  

* 10000 sq feet, open floorplan concrete office building

* AC ducting and fluorescent lighting fixtures everywhere

* 9 AP205's  (9 radios on 5 @ 40MHz, 4 on 2.4 @ 20MHz)

* Mode aware ARM enabled

* 2.4ghz: max 15 min 12 - 5ghz: max 15 min 12

* short preamble

* non wifi interference immunity 3

* client match enabled

* band steering preferred on both bands 

* 2 SSIDs

* drop broadcast and unknown multicast

* convert broadcast arp requests into unicast

The performance is good when it works but they're threatening to replace it with another system if we can't figure this last issue out.  Any ideas?  

Thanks!

Attachment(s)

zip
    logs.zip   434 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Intermittent loss of connectivity, but not association

Posted Apr 01, 2015 12:58 AM

If you can make an educated guess as to a when and where this issue is going to occur, enough to narrow it down to several clients, turn on user-debug for the clients by mac address.  look in the user log and auth-tracebuf if the outage corresponds to any auth/reauth activity.  That would be my first step.

• 3.  RE: Intermittent loss of connectivity, but not association

Posted Apr 01, 2015 03:04 AM
    I have done some user debug but it's hard to guess when it'll happen, and I dont think any auth / deauth, channel changes or other ARM events are happening. I'll give it another shot and check back.

• 4.  RE: Intermittent loss of connectivity, but not association

Posted Apr 02, 2015 07:06 AM

I have had a similar issue with AP-125 & AP-135. I called TAC and they tried for 3 days and could not figure it out. We are using Wyse thin clients. TAC suggested it was the client radio. They suggested to update to the latest driver for the chipset. Did you try this, updating the wireless card drivers?

• 5.  RE: Intermittent loss of connectivity, but not association

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 02, 2015 08:13 AM

@burkinafaso wrote:

Hi there, 

I've been working for a few months on improving a deployment I inherited.  We recently used Ekahau Site Survey to figure out where to move the APs, and are seeing generally good performance except when this issue occurs.

The issue:  Client has good RSSI and transmit rate and can pass traffic normally.  Suddenly traffic stops flowing.  The transmit rate drops to 14 and the MCS index to 0, while RSSI stays at the same (acceptable level.)  If you wait 30-60 seconds or turn wifi off and back on, the connection is restored.  It seems to be either localized to an AP, or a single client.  I've observed it occuring 1-3 times during a work day.  

Current environment:  

* 10000 sq feet, open floorplan concrete office building

* AC ducting and fluorescent lighting fixtures everywhere

@* 9 AP205's  (9 radios on 5 @ 40MHz, 4 on 2.4 @ 20MHz)

* Mode aware ARM enabled

* 2.4ghz: max 15 min 12 - 5ghz: max 15 min 12

* short preamble

* non wifi interference immunity 3

* client match enabled

* band steering preferred on both bands 

* 2 SSIDs

* drop broadcast and unknown multicast

* convert broadcast arp requests into unicast

The performance is good when it works but they're threatening to replace it with another system if we can't figure this last issue out.  Any ideas?  

Thanks!

burkinafaso,

Please PM me your TAC ticket.

It is hard to understand what is going on with the small snapshot of your logs.

• 6.  RE: Intermittent loss of connectivity, but not association

Posted Jun 22, 2015 02:15 PM

we are having the same issue. has this been resolved? if yes, how?