Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Is 802.11a-HT 802.11n?

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Is 802.11a-HT 802.11n?

Posted Nov 30, 2012 06:33 AM

New to aruba conguraiton & wifi in general and trying to get my head around things!  Been playing about with various setups to gain some understanding of how things work.

Wanted to see what the real world differences would be between .11n on 2.4ghz (b/g/n) with .11n on 5ghz (a/n).  Its my understanding that 5ghz provides more capacity, range and throughut on .11n, but non n devices would be left using .11a which has pretty much the opposte, shorter range/througput. 

So in a single radio/dual band environment that does have non n capable devices, I would be best staying on 2.4ghz, so any n capable hardware would have some benefit.  Obviously with dueal radio APs, this would be less of an issue, but would this be a bit of a headache where you have both single and dual radio within the same AP group?

Anyway, we've recently received our first N class APs but Ive noticed that there is no .11n radio profile, only a and g, so assume that 802.11a-HT is essentially .11n as my laptop is showing connectivity on .11n network, yet the controller is saying it has one .1a connected client.  Range doesnt seem to be particularlry great either, with my laptop losing connectivity of any kind when I walk 10m away, albeit out of the room where the AP is.

• 2.  RE: Is 802.11a-HT 802.11n?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 30, 2012 06:57 AM
    Please see answers <Inline>
    @Sk3l3tor wrote:

New to aruba conguraiton & wifi in general and trying to get my head around things!  Been playing about with various setups to gain some understanding of how things work.

<Welcome!>

Wanted to see what the real world differences would be between .11n on 2.4ghz (b/g/n) with .11n on 5ghz (a/n).  Its my understanding that 5ghz provides more capacity, range and throughut on .11n, but non n devices would be left using .11a which has pretty much the opposte, shorter range/througput. 

<802.11n on 2.4 ghz typically uses 20 mhz channels vs. 5ghz on 802.11n using 40 mhz channels, because there are many more 5ghz channels to bond.  That does provide more throughput.  5ghz is a higher frequency than 2.4 ghz and does not propagate as far>

So in a single radio/dual band environment that does have non n capable devices, I would be best staying on 2.4ghz, so any n capable hardware would have some benefit.  Obviously with dueal radio APs, this would be less of an issue, but would this be a bit of a headache where you have both single and dual radio within the same AP group?

<Yes, stay with 2.4ghz if you have only a single radio because all devices support that.  By default you should not have an issue if you mix single and dual radio devices within the same ap-group.>

Anyway, we've recently received our first N class APs but Ive noticed that there is no .11n radio profile, only a and g, so assume that 802.11a-HT is essentially .11n as my laptop is showing connectivity on .11n network, yet the controller is saying it has one .1a connected client.  Range doesnt seem to be particularlry great either, with my laptop losing connectivity of any kind when I walk 10m away, albeit out of the room where the AP is.

<Correct.  You could only be connecting at 802.11a, because unless you are doing Open or AES encryption, you should not be able to connect at 802.11n speeds.  You should open a support case to determine your connectivity issue>

• 3.  RE: Is 802.11a-HT 802.11n?

Posted Dec 10, 2012 11:05 AM

<Correct.  You could only be connecting at 802.11a, because unless you are doing Open or AES encryption, you should not be able to connect at 802.11n speeds.  You should open a support case to determine your connectivity issue>

Hi cjoseph, is 802.11n only supported under certain encryption types? And does a-HT or g-HT mean it is indeed connecting at n speeds?

Cheers,

• 4.  RE: Is 802.11a-HT 802.11n?

Posted Dec 19, 2012 09:58 PM

Yes, -HT mean 802.11n speed.