Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Is QoS marking applied by the controller or the AP?

Hi,

When wireless traffic is picked up by the AP and sent to the controller via the GRE tunnel, assuming there is a QoS policy in place, which device applies the QoS marking to the packets? The controller or the AP?

I cannot find the answer in the User Guide nor anywhere else, but I need to verify this as, if it turns out to be the controller, I would have quite some traffic flowing in the wired networks between the AP and controller without an appropriate QoS marking.

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Giuseppe Damiano/

Guru Elite

Re: Is QoS marking applied by the controller or the AP?

If the wireless client is using WMM, the GRE packets are tagged with QOS from the access point to the controller.  The controller will also "remember" to tag upstream traffic from the controller to the access point.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Excellent!

Is this documented anywhere?

Guru Elite

Please take a look at the document here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/whitepapers/WP_BringQoSWireless.pdf

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Fantastic!

Many thanks,

Giuseppe/

MVP

Hi!

I´ll jump in a borrow this thread. I can see how till works for WMM with voice and video but in my case we want to do custom prioritizations using ACLs and in tunnel mode that comes in to play first when the packets reach the controller.

Is it possible to tag traffic based on destination IP/Ports at the AP when in tunnel mode?

If not, will bridge/split tunnel solve my problem?

Christoffer Jacobsson | Aranya AB
Aruba: ACMX #537 ACCP | CWNP: CWNA CWDP CWSP
Guru Elite

The big question is, what traffic do you want prioritized over what medium?  What application is this?

Colin Joseph

MVP

In this case it´s iPads connected to an AP in a store and they use an web portal where they can make purchases together with the customer. I would like to give traffic to that particular destination a QoS tag but if the iPad then fires up the intranet and watches a video that would be best effort.

Guru Elite

Web traffic is normally not bandwidth and delay sensitive, so it does not normally need prioritization.  Are you having problems right now?

Colin Joseph

MVP

No we´re preparing for the launch of more video content, file downloads, music streaming to the stores by making sure that all purchaserelated traffic can be prioritised even if the slow WAN links are choked.

We don´t want the iPad in this case, to be slow in front of the customer because someone in the back is downloading something.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: