Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Is Wireless Ahead of the SDN Game?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Is Wireless Ahead of the SDN Game?

Posted Mar 06, 2013 02:48 PM

The SDN movement today is all about controller-based networking.  I can't help but wonder if wireless got ahead of this game a while back.  Wireless companies saw the need to have visibility across the entire environment for control and management.  After a generation, most wireless companies figured out that having a bottleneck in the middle of the network really impacted performance.  Now, you see most vendors (Aruba included) using products like Aruba Instant for distributed forwarding and centralized management.  Which is where I believe SDN will eventually end up once they figure out the lessons that wireless has already learned.

What do you think?  Are there parallels with SDN?  If you had to give advice to the networking folks, what would you say?

• 2.  RE: Is Wireless Ahead of the SDN Game?

Posted Mar 09, 2013 07:40 AM

interesting thought. though my knowledge of software-defined networking is limited, i see parallels, but also differences.

that bottleneck you mention, i sooner see them build better controllers with more power to overcome the issues. sure solutions like instant have there advantages, but will they become the dominant solution, doubt it. also typical to see how back in the days there was a similar trend with the fat APs without controler, which then got replaced with the control based wireless network.