Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Is it possible to use Time Ranges to modify Bandwidth Contracts?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Is it possible to use Time Ranges to modify Bandwidth Contracts?

Posted Apr 08, 2015 07:50 PM

Hello,

We have a bandwidth contract of 2Mb up and down for our public access VAP.  However, I would like to do a little bandwidth shaping and increase that bandwidth contract during nights and weekends.

How would I do this?

• 2.  RE: Is it possible to use Time Ranges to modify Bandwidth Contracts?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 08, 2015 09:00 PM

The controller cannot do it by itself, but if you have a radius server like ClearPass that is authenticating guests, it can respond with a role that has a bandwidth contract depending on the day of the week.

• 3.  RE: Is it possible to use Time Ranges to modify Bandwidth Contracts?

Posted Apr 17, 2015 11:10 AM

Thanks, Colin.

We have ClearPass coming, but not online yet.  Your answer precipitates two more questions:

The bandwidth shaping I want to do is not based on the day, but on the time of day.  Well, the day as well, but not so much.  As you can see, there is slightly less usage on weekends, but the valleys between daytime hours are deep.  I'm hoping that ClearPass can be a little more granular than daily bandwidth contracts...

usage.jpg

We're paying for that bandwidth, I'd just as soon make it available to people if I can, while not crashing the total available bandwidth during the daytime peaks of usage.

Secondly, our Public wifi is open.  That is, no authentication required.  Can ClearPass still do what we need?

Jess