Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Is there a rule of thumb on how many AP's/Devices one person should be able to support?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Is there a rule of thumb on how many AP's/Devices one person should be able to support?

Posted Nov 17, 2015 09:22 AM

Going to be installing many AP's and was needing to know at what point does X number of people/devices/AP become too much for one person.

• 2.  RE: Is there a rule of thumb on how many AP's/Devices one person should be able to support?

Posted Nov 24, 2015 12:36 PM
    I think it depends on how many hats the engineer wears in the team.

If you have a dedicated wireless engineer then I have seen locations that have 2,000 + APs with a wireless engineer and junior engineer as a backup

• 3.  RE: Is there a rule of thumb on how many AP's/Devices one person should be able to support?

Posted Nov 30, 2015 09:49 AM

My opinion is, it depends on the complexity of your configuration. 

If you have lets say10k APs in one AP group then you will really only have one AP actually VAP to manage. This is no problem.

If you have only 50 APs but you have 25 remote offices with 2 APs each and each has its own controller and configuration need the you will have 25 AP groups to manage, 25 public IPs to keep up, 25 controllers to manage. That is a bear to me. Sure this is a little over the top and probably doesnt exits.I would definatly want some help for this 

I guess its up to you and how confident you are in your abilities.