Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Is there a way to control the number of mDNS queries from controller ?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Is there a way to control the number of mDNS queries from controller ?

Posted Jun 04, 2017 04:44 AM

I have a customer with 2k clients in a single vlan, I found a lot of mDNS queries are generated from their controller. I was told there might be some keepalive mechanisms like, for example, a controller sends queries for all mDNS caches it has. Then I made a search in the CLI reference guide, and I found this command below "airgroup query interval ". I am confused by its explanation, does it mean to change the query interval for CPPM server or mDNS queries. Since it's a production environment that is going to be modified, I have to be very careful about any confusion in mind. Anyone can help to clarify or advise:   

1. Is this command below controls CPPM query or mDNS query? 

2. If it is a CPPM, any idea how to reduce the mDNS generated by a controller?

无标题.png

• 2.  RE: Is there a way to control the number of mDNS queries from controller ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 04, 2017 07:13 AM
    The question is, is the network currently using Airgroup for device discovery at all? Having 2k clients in a network is a heavy lift by itself.

• 3.  RE: Is there a way to control the number of mDNS queries from controller ?

Posted Jun 04, 2017 09:44 PM

Yes, they are using Airgroup, and they complain about occasionally loss of connection with some production servers used for file storage every day.

By digging into a packet capture, I noticed there are too many multicast packets including mDNS and IPv6.  I made some ACLs in the access switches to screen out IPv6 packets which are not useful to their services. It seems to work out a little bit, so I wonder whether there is a further way to reduce mDNS cast in the network, even though I can't screen them all as Bonjour is one of their services.

I noticed there is a command in CLI reference which seems to indicate Airgroup is able adjust the rate of mDNS it sends out, so I think it might help if it works as I assumed. Just for discretion before I put it into production configuration

BTW, I have advised them to think about segment users by more vlans, however, this customer is lack of motivation to do so as the environment is already in production

• 4.  RE: Is there a way to control the number of mDNS queries from controller ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 05, 2017 07:30 AM

"Zach_Z wrote:

Yes, they are using Airgroup, and they complain about occasionally loss of connection with some production servers used for file storage every day."

Are you saying that they use file storage for Airgroup or are you guessing that mdns traffic is causing your file server problem?  Is the problem occurring for wired and wireless clients, as well?

• 5.  RE: Is there a way to control the number of mDNS queries from controller ?

Posted Jun 06, 2017 02:30 AM

I guess the m/bcast including mDNS traffic occassionaly interrupts their connection with file storage. Most affected are Wireless clients.