Wireless Access

MVP

Issues printing to printer on bridge port

On our RAPs, we have split-tunnel wireless users that print to a network printer on a bridged port.  This has worked flawlessly for several branch offices using a particular make/model of printer.  However, one branch has two printers: one being the standard branch printer and the other is different.  This branch is having issues printing to the oddball printer after the printer goes idle.  When I check the user table, the MAC/IP for the printer isn't there.  I'm wondering if when the printer goes to sleep, if that's causing its entry in the user table to be removed, which is keeping split-tunnel users from being able to print to it.  This may very well be a printer issue, but I want to make sure it's not somehow related to the printer being aged out of the user-table as it becomes idle.  Any thoughts?

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
Guru Elite

Re: Issues printing to printer on bridge port

Get rid of that printer ;)

Just kidding.  Do you have an idea what protocols are necessary to print or obtain status for that printer by clients?  That is a good starting point...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

MVP

Trust me, I'd like to :)

As far as I know, it's a standard setup.  TCP 9100.

My line of thinking here is that if the printer goes idle and is removed from the user table than a split tunnel user won't be able to wake it up by sending a print job to it.

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
Guru Elite

Some printers require SNMP (UDP 161) to be able to query if it has anything in the queue....

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

MVP

True, but I'm allowing all traffic from split tunnel users to the subnet bridge devices are on.  So it shouldn't be a rights issue.

Guru Elite

If you "permit" from a split tunneled SSID, that means "tunnel back to the headend", which should not reach bridged devices.  What ACL are you using to permit local traffic and are you using the "Remote-AP Local Network Access" checkbox in the AP system profile to route traffic from split to bridged users on the RAP?

Colin Joseph

MVP

Sorry, I meant that I have an acl that source NATs split tunnel users to the bridged network.

I'm not sure about the checkbox you're referring to. Will check that in the morning.

Also,I accidentally selected my post as the solution. Didn't mean to do that! Can I take that back? :)
MVP

I do not have Remote-AP Local Network Access checked in the AP system profile.  I assume this may not fix the issue since split tunnel users do have access to at least one printer on a bridged port.

The ACL to allow split-tunnel users to the bridged port is as follows: user alias printers any route src-nat

I did some research on the printer and found a firmware upgrade that resolves the following issue:

Network communication may not wake device when in sleep mode.

That sounds like the issue we're having.  I'm waiting to find out what firmware version the printer is running.  Hopefully, an upgrade is all that it needs and it's not a RAP issue.

Guru Elite

thecompnerd wrote:

I do not have Remote-AP Local Network Access checked in the AP system profile.  I assume this may not fix the issue since split tunnel users do have access to at least one printer on a bridged port.

The ACL to allow split-tunnel users to the bridged port is as follows: user alias printers any route src-nat

I did some research on the printer and found a firmware upgrade that resolves the following issue:

Network communication may not wake device when in sleep mode.

That sounds like the issue we're having.  I'm waiting to find out what firmware version the printer is running.  Hopefully, an upgrade is all that it needs and it's not a RAP issue.

The Remote-AP Local Network Access option would allow devices that are split tunneled and/or bridged to communicate on the same RAP without NAT.  Enabling that would be able to rule out if there is an issue with the printer protocol being source-natted, is why the option was suggested.  If the firmware update indeed provides the fix needed, please publish the name and model of the printer so that others can benefit.

Colin Joseph

MVP

It turns out that the printer is already running the latest firmware version that corrected the network issues.  I also verified that the printer's sleep mode has been disabled so it's not a sleep issue.

I will enable the Remote-AP Local Network Access option to eliminate this as a possible issue.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: