Wireless Access

Regular Contributor I

Issues while gaming on wireless

Has anyone received feedback from users about lags or even drops while gaming on wireless?

We support gaming consoles on a "devices" SSID  (PSK and MAC auth). We're trying to resolve reports from a user with a new PS4 Pro who is experiencing issues while gaming. It was reported that during a 3 hour gaming session the user experiences about 8 lags and 4-5 disconnects. Apparently most issues occur right after power up then smooth out. Lags are described as freezes for a few seconds which auto-correct. Disconnects are described as the whole console losing connectivity and a "Retest Network Connection" is required to get it working again (though time might also be a factor in getting it back on).  Logs show the devices jumps APs every now and then but we haven't been able to match this up to the user's experience yet. Our eduroam and open (CP) SSID seem to working ok. Client density does not seem to be a factor and the user reports great speeds. Client Health seems fine. Our eduroam and open (CP) SSIDs seem to working ok but there is the usual RF imperfections associated with res halls. I hesitate to make global RF profile changes that may affect the other VAPs.

Are reports of gaming lag on enterprise wireless common or the exception? What's the first things to check to identify where the lag comes from? Should roaming introduce lag or can that occur lag free?  I realize we're talking UDP here..

The PS4 is currently in user debug and we've asking the user to record timestamps to try to corroborate logged events.

Any advice about how to make gaming consoles happy would be appreciated.

Mike

Occasional Contributor II

Re: Issues while gaming on wireless

Mike,

I am struggling with this exact issue as well.  We have a handful of gamers on Campus that have logged several tickets with us and we have been banging our heads against the wall trying to resolve this.  One thing we have discovered about PS4s specifically is they only have 2.4Ghz radios.  As we all know the 2.4 space is congested.  However, we have the same issues on Xboxs which have 5Ghz radios.

For the Xboxs we have verified SNR, channel utilization, etc. to rule out the RF side.  We have also taken packet captures and verified speed from Xbox and sat a laptop next to the consoles and ran constant pings.  There were a few dropped pings and the latency jumped up to around 3k ms a few times but overall the connection looks good.

Another thing we noticed is the consoles seem to roam excessivly which could cause these issues if it roams during a online game.  I'm not sure what we can do about that since the client makes the decision to roam.  Ideally a stationary device shouldnt roam if its already connected to the closest AP.

Anyone else seeing these issues?

Phillip Kluttz
Network Engineer University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Guru Elite

Re: Issues while gaming on wireless

Roaming while stationary indicates that on the Transmit side, the power is too high.  Some devices will allow you to remove some of the lower rates to make the clients more "sticky".  Other devices will not operate with lower rates removed (Nintendo Wii).  You will have to experiment, or others can chime in with their experiences.

Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: