Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Issues with Air Server

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Issues with Air Server

Posted Dec 31, 2012 04:17 PM

Trying to get a program called Air Server to work over wireless.  Basically, it allows mirroring of an iDevice to a Windows or Mac.  Bonjour is used for discovery, as well as a few other TCP and UDP ports.  In our environment, we can't get mirroring to work.  I believe this is for two reasons: the SSID that the laptop is on drops mcast/bcast & the role that the idevice receives is fairly restrictive.  Modifying the role for the iDevice won't be a problem since I know the ports that are required, but I'm curious to know if my only option is to disable "Drop Broadcast & Multicast" in order for discovery via bonjour to work since it's a multicast protocol.  I'm sure the answer is yes, I just hate to have to do that considering we've seen a fair amount of improvement by dropping bcast/mcast.

• 2.  RE: Issues with Air Server
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 31, 2012 04:27 PM

@thecompnerd wrote:

Trying to get a program called Air Server to work over wireless.  Basically, it allows mirroring of an iDevice to a Windows or Mac.  Bonjour is used for discovery, as well as a few other TCP and UDP ports.  In our environment, we can't get mirroring to work.  I believe this is for two reasons: the SSID that the laptop is on drops mcast/bcast & the role that the idevice receives is fairly restrictive.  Modifying the role for the iDevice won't be a problem since I know the ports that are required, but I'm curious to know if my only option is to disable "Drop Broadcast & Multicast" in order for discovery via bonjour to work since it's a multicast protocol.  I'm sure the answer is yes, I just hate to have to do that considering we've seen a fair amount of improvement by dropping bcast/mcast.

That is exactly what Airgroup allows you to do:  Enable Broadcast filtering and allow Bonjour discovery at the same time.  Open a support case and see if they will give you access to the 6.1.3.4-Airgroup build on the support site.  If you have a support account, log into support.arubanetworks.com under Download Software and you should see it under ArubaOS - Technology.

• 3.  RE: Issues with Air Server

Posted Dec 31, 2012 04:33 PM

I have access to the download.  Why isn't this functionality included in the general release?  I planned to move to 6.1.3.6 to resolve some issues we're having, but ti doesn't look like there's an AirGroup release for 6.1.3.6.  Do you know if there are any plans for it?

• 4.  RE: Issues with Air Server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 31, 2012 04:38 PM

@thecompnerd wrote:

I have access to the download.  Why isn't this functionality included in the general release?  I planned to move to 6.1.3.6 to resolve some issues we're having, but ti doesn't look like there's an AirGroup release for 6.1.3.6.  Do you know if there are any plans for it?

The answer to those questions are provided in the release notes:

"ArubaOS 6.1.3.4-AirGroup is a technology release that introduces the AirGroup feature. If you do not need the feature introduced in this release, Aruba recommends using the mainline ArubaOS 6.1.3.5 GA release instead. Security fixes and stability fixes deemed critical by Aruba will be applied to subsequent patches of this technology release until the AirGroup feature merges into the next major GA release. Minor issues or those requiring significant engineering changes will not be included in technology release patches. "

• 5.  RE: Issues with Air Server

Posted Dec 31, 2012 04:39 PM

Sorry, didn't read the release notes.  Thanks for the info.

• 6.  RE: Issues with Air Server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 31, 2012 04:49 PM

You are welcome.  

Happy New Year!