Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

LAN-Printers not visible on OS X devices

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  LAN-Printers not visible on OS X devices

Posted Jan 09, 2018 09:25 AM

Hi there,

OS X devices cannot search for printers (HP) when they are connected via WiFi. Some do appear once some never. Cannot find any systematic issue in that.

We have an 7005 and a group of five AP315 with a company wide WLAN in "Tunnel mode". No Airwave.

What is missing?

Thanks - F.One

• 2.  RE: LAN-Printers not visible on OS X devices

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 09, 2018 11:33 AM

How does the OS X devices discover the printers? Is it via AirPrint? Have you got any AirGroup options configured? What are the ACL's assigned to the OS X devices, do they permit any traffic? Is your VAP set to drop any kind of broadcast traffic? If you can provide some further information on your topology, this would helpful.

• 3.  RE: LAN-Printers not visible on OS X devices

Posted Jan 09, 2018 03:46 PM

Hi, no, it is not airprint. OSX does search for network printer via Bonjour (UPnP)

No Airgroups, no special ACLs.

I did not configure special rules to drop broadcasts - if it is a default behavior - where should I allow this?

The topology is as easy as one can imagine:

5 AP315 connected to a HP 5400zl with PoE - 1 aruba 7005 controller with a trunk of 4 Gbps connected to the same 5400zl. 

And the printers, too. Some via an uplink switch to the upper floor but one collision domain (192.168.0.0/23) - no special VLAN tagging in this scenario (VLAN is tagged for DMZ only).

• 4.  RE: LAN-Printers not visible on OS X devices

Posted Jan 17, 2018 08:48 AM

No idea anyone?

It is the "default via role" with policy "allow all".

No limits are set, no airgroups configured.

It is reproduceable: connecting a macbook via LAN will immediately show all printers anouncing them by bonjour.

Switching back to WLAN will make them invisible after a while.

• 5.  RE: LAN-Printers not visible on OS X devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 17, 2018 09:22 AM

I would disable Airgroup and make sure that there is no broadcast filtering on that Virtual AP.  That would ensure the controller is not blocking any broadcast traffic.

• 6.  RE: LAN-Printers not visible on OS X devices

Posted Jan 17, 2018 09:26 AM

Hi Colin,

there is no "Airgroup" at all (and to be honest: I don´t even know where I should configure an airgroup resp. don´t know what this feature is)

There is a menu entry in "dashboard" called "Airgroup" and there is nothing inside than an empty diagram. 

• 7.  RE: LAN-Printers not visible on OS X devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 17, 2018 10:18 AM

Airgroup is enabled  by default on a controller.  If there is mdns traffic that does match a service ID, it is dropped.  Please disable airgroup by going to configuration> advanced service> Airgroup.  Click on the settings tabl and change the Airgroup Status dropdown to "disabled".  Click on Apply in the lower right hand corner of the page.

• 8.  RE: LAN-Printers not visible on OS X devices

Posted Jan 17, 2018 10:52 AM

Hi Collin,

thank you - but "Airgroup" already was disabled.

Any further ideas?

Cheers, F.One

• 9.  RE: LAN-Printers not visible on OS X devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 17, 2018 11:04 AM

Do you have broadcast filtering disabled in your Virtual AP?

• 10.  RE: LAN-Printers not visible on OS X devices

Posted Jan 17, 2018 11:32 AM

I do only have "default AP" group and did not configure a special virtual AP - where can I switch off broadcast filtering?

(I did found your advise here: https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/broadcast-filter-all-and-filter-arp/m-p/69646 )

• 11.  RE: LAN-Printers not visible on OS X devices

Posted Jan 18, 2018 02:33 AM

I am under 8.2.x and cannot find settings for "virtual AP" to disable broadcastfiltering.

Under "AP Groups" there is nothing about "virtual AP".

Can anybody give me a hint where I could find this option?

Thanks.

• 12.  RE: LAN-Printers not visible on OS X devices

Posted Jan 09, 2018 11:34 AM

Are they in the same VLAN? the airprint feature only works when they are inside the same  VLAN, if not you will need to enable Multicast on VLANs which is not recommended IMO

• 13.  RE: LAN-Printers not visible on OS X devices

Posted Jan 09, 2018 11:37 AM

Yes, there is only one VLAN at all.

• 14.  RE: LAN-Printers not visible on OS X devices

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 09, 2018 12:08 PM

Can you even ping the printers from the OS X devices?

• 15.  RE: LAN-Printers not visible on OS X devices

Posted Jan 09, 2018 03:40 PM

Yes, I can ping them and can print to them via IP instead of Bonjour - but I am the admin and do know that - 99% percent of users have no idea why no or just a few printers do appear.