Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

LMS IP vs VRRP

This thread has been viewed 24 times
  • 1.  LMS IP vs VRRP

Posted Feb 06, 2013 11:10 AM

We are currently using just LMS IP primary / backup , is there any advantage of using VRRP vs just LMS IP ?

• 2.  RE: LMS IP vs VRRP

Posted Feb 06, 2013 11:21 AM

good question.

I also have sites with LMS/BACK LMS and  sites with VRRP MASTER/STANDBY MASTER.

both methods are really good for fast hopping from controller to controller during a failover in the master.

THE VRRP method much easier from the AP side (because the AP connect to only 1 address)..

but i would like to hear also , which method is better,and of course why?

• 3.  RE: LMS IP vs VRRP
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 06, 2013 11:46 AM

When using Primary/Backup LMS, the AP will not attempt to connect to the Backup LMS until its bootstrap threshold is met (default is 8).   In this case, the AP may be not fail over until 8 missed heartbeats.   When using VRRP, your failover time may be slightly quicker.  The reason for this is VRRP failover is handled between the two controllers.  From the AP's perspective, it only knows of one IP.    It would of course need to recreate its tunnel to the new controller; but there is no waiting for a threshold to be met.

• Often times it depends on your controller architecture.    If you want to provide redundancy where controllers are not on the same layer 2 network, then Primary/Backup LMS is your only way to go.    If they are on the same network, then VRRP is often preferred.    
    • Using VRRP will also address issues where one or two APs missed heartbeats for some reason and failed to another controller.   If preemption is not on, you'll end up with APs across two controllers when you may not  intend to.
    • VRRP offers additional flexibliity in your termination options.    There is also the possibly of using VRRP for your primary LMS and then providing another IP for your backup LMS; essentially providing tertiary redundancy.   

I think the Campus VRD covers some additional advantages.

• 4.  RE: LMS IP vs VRRP

Posted Feb 06, 2013 11:50 AM

Thanks 

• 5.  RE: LMS IP vs VRRP

Posted Feb 12, 2020 08:16 AM

I have configured 2 controller master and standby and it is fail over normally. But when i add AP into this master and if i reboot master wlc for testing i am not able to access ssid because during failover it will goes down for 15 sec then AP will join automatically to standby controller and this controller will be master. So is there any setting need to be done from my side.

Also  I can able to browse master and standby IP same time but not able to access VRRP IP. Vrrp is pinging but not able to login GUI or CLI.

Do i have to configure LMS as well.