Wireless Access

New Contributor

License question - RAP

Hello:

I need to know if i want to license two RAP-2 and two RAP-5 with AP License for 620 Wireless controller, and i want to license PEFNG for this four RAP also.

Do i need only 1 AP License and 1 PEF-NG License???

Guru Elite

Re: License question - RAP

You need 2 AP and 2 PEF-NG.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Hello Colllin

i would like to know how this works

Does this mean that i can use 1 AP license and 1 Penf license IF all the remote APS are from the same model?

Example

if i got 4 AP license  on the WC and im already using 3 on the campus APS i get 1 free licesnse

With that AP license if i have 4 rap 2 i can use that free license for those remote APS and also 1 PEnf licnse for those 4 rap 2

But then  if i got 2 rap 2 and 2 rap 5 then icannot do that  because they are from different moddels so ill need another ap licsne and another penf licence

did i get it correctly?

Cheers

Carlos

----------------------------------------------------
Product Manager - Aruba Networks
Alternetworks Corp

Our licensing model is is simple. One controller based AP, regardless of type (CAP or RAP) or model requires one license of each type you need to use.

If you have a total of 4 APs (regardless of type) you need qty. 4 AP licenses.

If you want to add PEFNG to the controller that is managing 4 APs you need qty. 4 PEFNG

If you want to add RFProtect to the controller that is managing 4 APs you need qty. 4 RFP

Assuming the above example with AP, PEFNG, and RFP a shortfall on any of the license types will result in one of the four APs not being able to come on line due to the shortage and the AP status will be "IL" (inactive due to a license isssue).

Okay i undertood that its clear but i got one more quetsion for you Marcus

if i got a 620 WC
This accept 8 Campus APs

and 32 RAPs

Thats is what the documentation says

Scenario 1

i got let say 8 Campus APS so im using 8 campus APS so i need here 8 AP licnse and 8 penf lincense

In this same scenario let say i want to add 4 RAPS i need to buy here 4 licesnes for APs and 4 more licenses of PENf for those

At the end ill ahve in that 620

8 Campus APS and 4 RAPS   is this correct? total APS 12 APS on the 620

When it says that the 620 got limitation of 8 APS it means 8 Campus APS?

We are a lilttle confused here and well im  we are trying to understand this correctly to quote it correctly

Thanks in advance for the asnwer

Cheers

CArlos

Alternetworks Corp

First thing is to keep licensing separate from capacity then stick to the "1 license per AP regardless of type" rule :)

The 620 can do 620 8 CAP or 32 RAP or some combination in between -- there is a 1:4 ratio of CAP to RAP.  With that in mind, if you use 8 CAP you can add 0 RAP,  decrease CAP to 7 you can do 4 RAP, decrease CAP to 6 and you can do 8 RAP, etc.

Okay just to be sure and sorry for bothering too much Marcus cause i know i am

let say i got 7 CAmpus APS and i got 4 RAPS thats for the capacity(ill be no able to add more APS neither rap or cap in this situation)

For the licensing

i would need a total of 12 license for APS and12 licnese for PENF in this 620 controller

I am correct on this example?

Alternetworks Corp

7 CAP + 4 RAP = 11 APs

If you need PEFNG you would need:

- qty. 11 AP licenses

- qty. 11 PEFNG licenses

Haha sorry yeah 11 license not 12 ;)