Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Licensing in Master-Local with dedicated master setup

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Licensing in Master-Local with dedicated master setup

Posted Feb 18, 2013 03:34 AM

Hi!

I know Aruba doesn't recommend terminating APs on the master in a bigger Master-local setup and that you typically can place only 1 AP license and 1 PEF license on the master/masters.

But I've run into some issues when lets say a big amount of APs reboots because of whatever reason, they lookup aruba-master, and want to retrieve their LMS but they can only do it one AP at a time since there's only 1 license. This has led us to put more licenses on the master just to solve this issue.

Now I'm in a project of an even bigger Aruba environment and we're gonna set up dedicated masters here and I wonder how I should adress this problem.

How do you guys do it?

Put aruba-master DNS record on a local with licenses? (I think this is not recommended)

They have a huge number of RAPs, do you provision them towards a local initially?

Please give me your ideas on this,

Thanx!

Chris

• 2.  RE: Licensing in Master-Local with dedicated master setup

Posted Feb 18, 2013 04:04 AM

Hi

Good morning :smileyhappy:

Please download and read the PDF from the following link:

http://www.arubanetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/VRD_Aruba-Mobility-Controllers_8.pdf

Capture.PNG

It will clearly your questions.

have a lovely week.   :smileyvery-happy:

Me

BTW:

another good VRD to read :smileywink: because i just notice u are using RAP'S

http://www.arubanetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/rapvrd_version_8.pdf

• 3.  RE: Licensing in Master-Local with dedicated master setup

Posted Feb 18, 2013 04:26 AM

Hi!

Thank you for your quick reply. I read it through and this only states the recommendations that we used in the last setup where we ran into issues. My questions is what others do in the same kind of setups to make the network converge faster in situations where many APs have rebooted (office power failures, controller upgrade, etc)

Is really putting lots of extra licenses on the redundant non-terminating masters the solution?

• 4.  RE: Licensing in Master-Local with dedicated master setup

Posted Feb 18, 2013 04:47 AM

as far as i aware...yep

if the local [with all the lic] will die :smileymad: - so all the AP unit [if configured right]  will move to the master or other controller via lms/backuplms and then this controller need to have all the needed licenses for all your aps.

Regards.

Me

• 5.  RE: Licensing in Master-Local with dedicated master setup

Posted Feb 18, 2013 05:13 AM

Hi!

I made a quick sketch. If one local dies, the APs terminate on second local, no problems. My goal is to avoid having to license both the masters for faster convergence. Since that is first point of access for RAPs and CAPs (through aruba-master and master IP when provisioned as RAPs).

sketch

• 6.  RE: Licensing in Master-Local with dedicated master setup
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 18, 2013 11:01 PM

The only options you really have at this point are:

1)License the master to accept the load of new ap's coming up at one time. 

or

2)Point the DNS entry to look at your local. 

I've set it up both ways in the past. The licensing on the master would be the text book example but sometime there hasn't been money to do this on day one. 

I guess there would be a few othere ways you could do it playing tricks with DNS (round robin your controllers in DNS). Or change what the ap's look for at boot. The inital boot would look for Aruba-master but you can change this setting in the ap it's self or in the ap provisioning page. After the inital provisioning you can have the ap look for aruba-local-<#> if that's what you wanted. 

• 7.  RE: Licensing in Master-Local with dedicated master setup

Posted Feb 19, 2013 06:47 AM

Thank you!

• 8.  RE: Licensing in Master-Local with dedicated master setup

Posted Feb 19, 2013 06:56 AM

One more question, if we go with option 2)Point the DNS entry to look at your local.

Do we still meet the best practises recommendations of Aruba for Master-Local?

• 9.  RE: Licensing in Master-Local with dedicated master setup

Posted Feb 19, 2013 07:34 AM

Option one is best pratices from Aruba.  But each controller has a copy of the config for each controller. As long as the ap boots talks with a controller upgraded it's code and can download a copy of the ap specific config then you will work as expected.