Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Licensing in VRRP

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Licensing in VRRP

Posted Sep 23, 2014 12:20 AM

Hi Guys,

Finding the existing information a little confusing on this topic.

We want to build a network with approx 20 APs and 2 x 7010 controllers. We want to run the controllers as active/active with 15 APs on one and 5 on the other and failing over to each other via VRRP.

With centralised licensing, can we purchase 20 AP and PEF licenses and that's sufficient?

If not, is that sufficient if we do active / standby, or will we always need 40 AP and PEF licenses?

thanks,

Peter

• 2.  RE: Licensing in VRRP
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 24, 2014 04:45 PM

With Centralized Licensing you designate one of the controllers (Master) to be the "Centralized Licensing Server".  All licenses are loaded into the pool on the License server then are handed out to controllers as-needed.

So, if you have 15 APs terminating on the Master it will allocate 15 licenses (AP, PEFNG,RFP) to itself then allocate 5 to your Local controller.

Having said that it is important to note that the 70x0 controllers are not meant to be a Master controller -- they are designated as Branch controllers.  So, they are supported as Local controllers and not supported as Master.   There is nothing in software that will prevent you from configuring it as a Master -- it is not tested or supported.

• 3.  RE: Licensing in VRRP

Posted Sep 27, 2014 07:54 AM

@Marcus wrote:

Having said that it is important to note that the 70x0 controllers are not meant to be a Master controller -- they are designated as Branch controllers.  So, they are supported as Local controllers and not supported as Master.   There is nothing in software that will prevent you from configuring it as a Master -- it is not tested or supported.

could you point me to an official Aruba statement about this in documentation or site or ..? because im unable to find it.

and by the way, what about stand alone mode, is that supported? (yes i know it is just the same as master, but if they are really only meant as a local then that should mentioned more clearly.)

• 4.  RE: Licensing in VRRP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2014 08:26 AM
    The issue with using them as master controllers is WMS scaling. They were designed for the branch which is why they have a low AP capacity.

• 5.  RE: Licensing in VRRP

Posted Sep 27, 2014 08:45 AM

im sure there are good reasons. but i would like to know what exactly is and isn't supported and where can i find this in an official Aruba document.

when you got 72xxs and 70x0s in an deployment then of course i wouldn't use a 70x0 as master over 72xx.

but Aruba often seems to forget the smaller deployments with just two (upto 64 AP) controllers for redudancy or to handle more APs then one controller can handle. for such a deployment the 3xxx series worked fine however you want to set them up. if i now can't get support on a 7020 as master with another 7020 as local i want that stated somewhere.

• 6.  RE: Licensing in VRRP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2014 08:49 AM
    I don't think you're going to get that.

They're marketed as branch office controllers. That's enough reason for me ;-)

• 7.  RE: Licensing in VRRP

Posted Sep 27, 2014 02:00 PM

To add clarity to the conversation.......

The 70x0 will work as a Standalone controller.  It can also be used in an all-Master design. 

What is not tested / supported is WMS scaling with a 70x0 acting as a Master with Local controllers, and their APs, attached to it.

boneyard -- please contact your local sales team for additional support regarding this topic.

• 8.  RE: Licensing in VRRP

Posted Oct 01, 2014 04:12 AM

Interesting feedback re:all master design.

This is a small deployment so the AP<>WLC choice mix seemed right. 

The WLCs have ended up being split across physical locations/networks so are a master/local with the master being the backup LMS. 

Local sales engineer didn't mention anything about that being unsupported? I guess that's because there probably won't be any issues with the 7010 being a master in this case for only 20 APs?

• 9.  RE: Licensing in VRRP

Posted Oct 12, 2014 05:24 AM

@Marcus wrote:

boneyard -- please contact your local sales team for additional support regarding this topic.

have done that, thank you Marcus.