Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor II

Link Aggregation on AP220

In planning for a deploy of a large number of AP22xs, I am trying to determine if there is a real benefit to running 2 ethernet cables to each WAP. My understanding is that 1 port will be used for 2.4Ghz and the other for 5Ghz, if a single link goes down with that channels traffic failover to the remaining link?   How complex is the configuration, to accomplish this, and how much complexity does it add to troubleshooting?  Do the real world benefits justify its implementation?   Thanks 

Guru Elite

Re: Link Aggregation on AP220

[ Edited ]

It uses the GRE striping IP to send traffic for one radio down the other link (via port-channel IP load balancing).

On top of speed, you are also gaining redundancy. You can create your LACP groups across stacks and if a stack member dies, your APs will stay up.

For us, the benefit is the redundancy, not the bundled speed.

Note that currently there is no PoE redundancy. If the switch that is providing the power were to die or reload, the AP would reboot.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Frequent Contributor II

thanks that is super helpful, in the case the switch providing PoE dies, will the AP reboot and use PoE from the other switch or just fail?

Guru Elite

I think it should reboot and negotiate power from the other switchport. I’ll let someone from Aruba confirm that though.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Aruba

Tim is correct. The AP will drop when the PoE sourcing switch goes down but then will power up via the secondary connection.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: