Wireless Access

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Local-Local Configuration Question

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Local-Local Configuration Question

Posted Jun 09, 2015 01:44 PM

We're looking at arranging two 7240's in a local-local configuration without a master controller for the time being. They would both be active with 50% of the AP's terminating on each controller. It's also my understanding that we can offload some processes to AirWave.

It seems as though this is not best practice but is this a feasible design? Are there features that we would be missing without a master? Can AirWave act as a single point of configuration? Any info or recommendations would be very helpful.

• 2.  RE: Local-Local Configuration Question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 09, 2015 01:46 PM

This is not possible. You would have to do a dual master environment and use AirWave to sync.

Why not do master-local and share the AP load across both controllers?

• 3.  RE: Local-Local Configuration Question

Posted Jun 09, 2015 04:27 PM

Thanks for the information. We are moving to Aruba from another vendor and have been told at a higher level that we will be deploying two local controllers only.

However, having done some research it does make much more sense to go with a master-local setup so perhaps there has been a misunderstanding.

It sounds like you are saying that it's not even possible to deploy only local controllers without a master (or that both controllers would need to be managed separately). Thanks again.

• 4.  RE: Local-Local Configuration Question
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 09, 2015 04:31 PM
    That's correct. Controllers with the local role require at least one controller with a master. All master can be done but isn't recommended in a campus deployment. Master-local is recommended.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 5.  RE: Local-Local Configuration Question

Posted Mar 15, 2017 11:21 PM

If I can summary your answer.

1. Master/Local is best option,

a. so this VRD p44 no longer valid
    https://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/Aruba-VRDs/14/1/Aruba%20Mobility%20Controllers-%20PDF.pdf

Do you have latest VRD

b. AP only attached to Local but not Master.

If Local die, will Master keep AP info

2. If I choose Master/Local, that mean I need minimum 2 Master and 2 Local for redundancy (total 4).
    Am I correct

3. If I have 2 Master.
    Can I combine Master with License server
    Should I configure License server as Master/Standby or can be as Master/Master

tq