Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Local Redundancy

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Local Redundancy

Posted Jun 01, 2016 04:44 PM

Setting up a lab to test local redundancy models with a single master controller. So far have a master and two locals connected to them. Looking through VRD's its recommended to do Active/Active on the locals using two seperate VRRP's. Can someone help out with config wallthrogh? Is all that's needed two virtual routes on the locals with seperate IP's from the local controllers and then setup LMS/LMSB to point to those?

(aruba-test) #show switches

All Switches
    ------------
    IP Address Name Location Type Model Version Status Configuration State Config Sync Time (sec) Config ID
    ---------- ---- -------- ---- ----- ------- ------ ------------------- ---------------------- ---------
    10.6.12.99 aruba-test Building1.floor1 master Aruba7005 6.4.4.4_53338 up UPDATE SUCCESSFUL 0 9
    10.6.12.97 aruba-lab1 Building1.floor1 local Aruba7030 6.4.4.6_54633 up UPDATE SUCCESSFUL 3 9
    10.6.12.98 aruba-lab2 Building1.floor1 local Aruba7030 6.4.4.6_54633 up UPDATE SUCCESSFUL 3 9

• 2.  RE: Local Redundancy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 01, 2016 04:49 PM

If you want a local to backup a master controller, the simplest think you can do is put an LMS-IP in the AP system profile pointing to the ip address of the master and the backup-lms-ip in the AP system profile pointing to the ip address of the local.

When the access points fail over to the local, the local controller must have a VLAN defined that matches the VLAN defined in the Virtual AP on the master.  If the VLANs are different, you would have to use VLAN names, instead.

Optionally, you can use HA, which is a newer and faster method here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_6.4.4.x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/VRRP/HighAvOverView.htm?Highlight=fast failover

• 3.  RE: Local Redundancy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 01, 2016 04:51 PM
    You should take a look at HA fast failover which is the new way of providing
    AP redundancy.

• 4.  RE: Local Redundancy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 01, 2016 04:51 PM
    You should take a look at HA fast failover which is the new way of providing
    AP redundancy.

• 5.  RE: Local Redundancy

Posted Jun 01, 2016 05:14 PM

So we aren't using the master for anything other than config pushes and the local controllers are just for terminating AP's and local networks. We are going to deploy two local controllers for redundancy not use the master for redundancy. So is active/active not the way to go these days and HA fast failover is?

• 6.  RE: Local Redundancy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 01, 2016 05:28 PM

So, you are mixing terminology.  Using the LMS and Backup LMS ip only is the old way of doing things, but it is fairly easy to configure.

HA Fast failover is the new way and that is the link I sent you above.  HA Fast Failover still employs the LMS-IP and Backup LMS-ip, but it has other configuration elements and the failover is faster...

Please read the link I showed you above.

• 7.  RE: Local Redundancy

Posted Jun 02, 2016 11:00 AM

Think I fully understand now and have everything working as expected, the only question I have left is if we are using a pair of masters for just configurations to push to locals and not terminating AP's on them is there any sort of hardware requirement? Example having 5-10 locals regardless of hardware to a pair of 7005's masters? I do know if your using masters as backups you need to scale properly but that's not what we would be doing since we'd have two locals in each locations for redundancy.

• 8.  RE: Local Redundancy

Posted Jun 08, 2016 09:35 AM

Anyone know the minimimum requirements for a master controller terminating multiple local controllers but not used for redunancy meaing no APs will connect to it ever? Config might be big due to the locals going to it 5 controllers or so

• 9.  RE: Local Redundancy

Posted Jun 12, 2016 02:54 PM

i believe the advise is to only use 72xx for masters if local are involved.