Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Local probe threshold - Clients with SNR below threshold

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Local probe threshold - Clients with SNR below threshold

Posted May 01, 2013 11:00 AM

I've set the local probe threshold on all our VAPs to 21.  I'm still seeing with an SNR below 21 connected.  My understanding was that the controller would not respond to client probe requests if the SNR of the client is below 21, which would effectively keep a client from associating to an AP if it's SNR is below 21.  So should I assume that the clients with an SNR below 21 were connected with an SNR above the threshold at first, and then an environmental change caused the SNR of the client to drop below the threshold?

• 2.  RE: Local probe threshold - Clients with SNR below threshold

Posted May 01, 2013 11:07 AM
    I have spoke with a couple Aruba engineers and they've said that in order for this to properly work you have hide the SSID .

Look at this post :
    http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/ArubaOS-and-Mobility-Controllers/local-probe-response-threshold/td-p/67820

• 3.  RE: Local probe threshold - Clients with SNR below threshold

Posted May 01, 2013 11:24 AM

Very interesting... This is a bit at odds with what another Aruba ACE engineer suggested.  Gotta love it!

I guess it goes back to the original intent of setting the local probe threshold.  I was trying to help clients make better association and roaming decisions.  Maybe I should try and attack the problem by modifying min/mx EIRP.