Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Local to Master L2 tunnel: client mac address changes / packet loss

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Local to Master L2 tunnel: client mac address changes / packet loss

Posted Dec 12, 2012 08:25 AM

Hello,

I'm setting up a network with 2 x 3200 as a master / backup on main site and 650 as a branch office Local controller. I have set up a Layer 2 GRE tunnel from branch local controller to master cotroller. My idea is to get the branch users to same L2 / L3 network with my main site users.

I got the tunnel working and traffic seems to go thu the tunnel. Clients on remote site get ip from main site DHCP server. However I'm seeing significant packet loss when pinging some of my devices (those that are public network and go thu a firewall on main site). I captured some traffic from my firewall and noticed that some of the pacekets come from the clients mac address and some come from the controllers mac address. Also when packets were lost the firewall did not see them at all.

I don't seem to find any reason for this behavior.

Help appreciated

• 2.  RE: Local to Master L2 tunnel: client mac address changes / packet loss

Posted Dec 14, 2012 02:55 AM

I did some packet capture on my remote site controller and found something interesting.

I started pinging from a wired client (directly connected to the controller) on remote site to a network behind main site's gateway. When ping was ok i saw ICMP echo requests going to my main site gateways mac address and replies coming back. But when ping started to drop i saw ICMP echo requests going to the remote site's cortoller's mac address.

Can anyone expalin this behavior?

• 3.  RE: Local to Master L2 tunnel: client mac address changes / packet loss

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 14, 2012 04:58 AM

We would need to know the detail of your topology to possibly answer that question...

• 4.  RE: Local to Master L2 tunnel: client mac address changes / packet loss
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 14, 2012 07:52 AM

I figured this out. I had an ipsec tunnel from previous configuration that had overlappin ip address.