Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Log Reboot Information, Rebootstrap Information & HA Failover Information to external syslog

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Log Reboot Information, Rebootstrap Information & HA Failover Information to external syslog

Posted Feb 09, 2016 08:52 PM

Does anybody know if it is possible to configure AP Reboot, Rebootstrap, & HA Failover Information messages to generate syslog messages to an external syslog server, either directly or by way of the controller - I'm guessing it has to be by way of the controller?

I'm guessing it MIGHT be something along the lines of "logging level debugging system process ha_mgr" (as noted in the "How to enable full redundancy with HA feature?" KB Article).  Are there equivalent system processes for Reboot & Rebootstrap messages from APs?  approc or cfgm?  These are all just guesses.

Can something like that be done for AP Reboot & Rebootstrap messages?

Thanks, 

--Raf

• 2.  RE: Log Reboot Information, Rebootstrap Information & HA Failover Information to external syslog

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2016 08:58 PM
    AP reboot and bootstrap is logged to the system logs. (show log system 50) 

You can pump that out to syslog. 

Sent from Nine

• 3.  RE: Log Reboot Information, Rebootstrap Information & HA Failover Information to external syslog

Posted Feb 09, 2016 09:26 PM

Thanks Tim, 

I guess that will have to do.  I was looking for specific messages to indicate that an AP has failed to their VRRP backup & back again to their VRRP master in a syslog message.  I don't see these in "show log system all," at least not now & they don't appear in my syslogs. 

I'm able to find them in the ap debug logs :

#show ap debug system-status ap-name "korm-0-8dd8" 

Reboot Information
    ------------------
    AP rebooted Sat Jan 23 16:08:31 EST 2016; SAPD: Rebooting after provisioning
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rebootstrap Information
    -----------------------
    Date       Time     Reason (Latest 10)
    --------------------------------------
    2016-02-09 13:11:43 Trying new VRRP master for LMS 192.168.20.210. Old VRRP master switch IP is 192.168.20.216
    2016-02-09 13:17:51 Trying new VRRP master for LMS 192.168.20.210. Old VRRP master switch IP is 192.168.20.215

HA Failover Information
    -----------------------
    Date       Time     Reason (Latest 10)
    --------------------------------------
    (none found)

I do see messages like, "Feb 9 13:13:19 :311004:  <WARN> |AP urbn-1-6a70@192.168.55.3 sapd|  Missed 40 heartbeats; rebootstrapping" in "show log system all,"  but they don't make it to syslog.  

[raf@log1 logs]$ grep rebootstrapping ctrler1/local1/2016/02/09/local120160209 
    [raf@log1 logs]$ 

Here's the logging config :

(ctrler1) #show logging level verbose 

LOGGING LEVELS
    --------------
    Facility  Level      Sub Category  Process
    --------  -----      ------------  -------
    arm       warnings   N/A           N/A
    arm       debugging  client-match  N/A
    network   warnings   N/A           N/A
    security  warnings   N/A           N/A
    security  warnings   ids           N/A
    security  warnings   ids-ap        N/A
    system    warnings   N/A           N/A
    user      warnings   N/A           N/A
    wireless  warnings   N/A           N/A

Not sure if I need to enable some debug or additional logging output in order to get them, thus my question. 

I'm currently on AOS 6.4.3.2, (4 x 7240 locals w/ 2 x 7210 masters - all using VRRP redundancy configs) but looking to update soon to 6.4.3.6 & employ HA:FF.  

Thanks again for your response. 

• 4.  RE: Log Reboot Information, Rebootstrap Information & HA Failover Information to external syslog

Posted Feb 09, 2016 09:32 PM

Ah, 

Perhaps I need to tweek the logging level of the server?  Don't think so since that should send ALL messages to the syslog server...

(ctrler1) #show logging server 

Remote Server: 192.168.26.196

FACILITY MAPPING TABLE
    ----------------------
    local-facility  severity  remote-facility
    --------------  --------  ---------------
    All             All       local1

BTW, Is there anyway to configure different remote-facilities for different severity messages; i.e. send DBUG logs to remote-facility local7?

Thanks, 

• 5.  RE: Log Reboot Information, Rebootstrap Information & HA Failover Information to external syslog

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 10, 2016 02:58 AM

Warning messges should be enough.