Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Looking for Controller upgrade advice.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Looking for Controller upgrade advice.

Posted Oct 15, 2013 08:37 AM

I have two 3600 controllers in a Master/Local configuration for terminating RAP2's in home offices.  On the master there are 10 AP's and on the local there are approx. 180 AP's.  I will be upgrading from 5.0.2.0 to 6.2.1.4 with a version hop first to 5.0.4.13.   The release notes suggest reloading both contollers at once.  I would much rather do the Master first and verify the RAP's have come back correctly before proceeding with the local and the other 180 AP's.  It seems risky to do both together.  My main concern is losing the LMS setting somehow.  The RAP2's are not easy for users to reset so that would be a catastrophic failure.  TAC seems to say either way is ok but the release notes seem to stongly suggest doing both at once.  Can anyone shed some light on this and perhaps share some of their experiences either way?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Looking for Controller upgrade advice.

Posted Oct 15, 2013 08:57 AM

Make sure you do the following for the RAP2 before you upgrade those to AOS6.x :

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Command-of-the-Day/COTD-apflash-backup-partition-or-how-do-I-upgrade-my-RAP5/m-p/5829/highlight/true#M258

What do you mean by the LMS setting ?

The only issue is that if you have the Master on a different version in this case 6.2 then you won't be able to push any changes to your local since both controller won't be able to communicate.

I have always upgraded all my controllers at the same time.

Before you do make sure you do a flash backup in case of a failure

• 3.  RE: Looking for Controller upgrade advice.

Posted Oct 15, 2013 09:01 AM

Thanks Victor.  By LMS setting basically I mean the IP of their controller.  Essentially my thinking was if the upgrade for some strange reason had a negative impact on the RAP2's they would be unable to find the Master controller.  I would upgrade the Local immediately after the Master is up so no config changes would be made, 

• 4.  RE: Looking for Controller upgrade advice.

Posted Oct 15, 2013 09:17 AM

If you do it that way make sure you remove the backup LMS to the local if you have it that configured that way so when you are upgrading the Master the APs don't bounce between two AOS.

• 5.  RE: Looking for Controller upgrade advice.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 16, 2013 07:59 AM

You can always remove the local controller's entry in the master.  Then, upgrade the master and make sure that ALL config bits pertaining to the local are there.  Verify that the RAPs came back as well.  TAC is right..this should be an issue as the RAPs are already provisioned and once they re-communicate to the master post upgrade, they should also upgrade but be aware of Victor's boot partition note!!!!!

Now...once the master is upgraded, upgrade the local.  Again, make your verifications there.  Finally, add the local back into the master-local table and you are back whole.

I had a customer of mine do this method for 2 masters and 140 local controllers.  Worked great!