Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Looking for technical comparison table between iAP to Controller Based solution. Plz Help

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Looking for technical comparison table between iAP to Controller Based solution. Plz Help

Posted Jan 07, 2013 08:34 AM

Hi Guys,

good afternoon,

I have a big client that keep asking me for a technical comparison  table of 5 big major features  between iAP solution to Controller Based solution.

What the client losing or getting when using iAP or Controller

Anyone can help?

Thanks in advance.

Me

• 2.  RE: Looking for technical comparison table between iAP to Controller Based solution. Plz Help

Posted Jan 07, 2013 10:36 AM

There is no table but it would be nice if aruba made one... i get that question asked MANY times as well...

Ill give you some highlights

1-One cluster of instant are just able to support 1024 users... but if you using a cluster of IAP 92/93 it just go up to 16 APS and 256 users other instant can go up to 1024 users... so its limited

2-Captive portal with the controller is  a way better, because on the captive portal of the Instant is really really basic... you must manually delete users you create, and also the captive portal page is not that cutumizable.

3-Controller has VPN terminator, which mean it can do RAPS and VIA, if you going for this, you cannot sell them IAPs.

4-Controller simplifies vlan at edge i do not need to tag the vlans everywhere

5-You are able to change more advanced settings on the controller than you can do it on the instant.

The thing is like Collin told me before, is that the differences between Instant and Controller-Based Deployments decrease all of the time.

The major difference i think are the ones i told you up at least thats what i think.   Anyways remenber that you can always go from instant to controller anytime you want, so if they on the run need something that is just avaiable on the controller they can get one and transform all those IAPS in normal campuses APs.

Hope it helps

Cheers

Carlos

• 3.  RE: Looking for technical comparison table between iAP to Controller Based solution. Plz Help

Posted Jan 07, 2013 10:41 AM

I also posted that it would be nice that aruba made a official documentation about this

Go to the ideas tab and go to the documentation and kudo the idea.... if we get many kudos we might get them do it and it would be really helpful for presales...