Wireless Access

Reply
Occasional Contributor I
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎07-21-2015

Lost internet connectivity

I hope someone can help.

 

Yesterday afternoon our both our guest and private networks stopped allowing 95% of internet connections.

 

We have an Aruba 620 controller with several 105 APs.  We have a guest network which has a login portal and a private network which authenticates against a RADIUS server.

 

Both of these networks remain up and can be connected to.  When using the private one, I am still able to access our servers and upload and download files to these servers without any issues.  

 

However I cannot get internet access properly using either network.  95% of web requests time out and the other 5% appear to run at modem speed.  Our wired network is still responding as normal and I have tested DNS etc.  

 

This setup has been working without issue for the past couple of years and we have made no recent changes to our network or our firewall here.

Guru Elite
Posts: 20,777
Registered: ‎03-29-2007

Re: Lost internet connectivity

If you have not already, please open a TAC case in parallel.  There are many reasons why this would happen and we would only be guessing on this forum.



Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎07-21-2015

Re: Lost internet connectivity

Case # 1723509

Guru Elite
Posts: 20,777
Registered: ‎03-29-2007

Re: Lost internet connectivity

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-to-stop-unknown-unicast-from-LAN-to-be-flooded-by-the/ta-p/179934



Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎07-21-2015

Re: Lost internet connectivity

Did this about 5 minutes ago and it hasn't made any difference.....

Guru Elite
Posts: 20,777
Registered: ‎03-29-2007

Re: Lost internet connectivity

MickLLF,

 

Have you uploaded the logs.tar from the controller to the case?

 

 

 



Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎07-21-2015

Re: Lost internet connectivity

I emailed them to the engineer I was dealing with earlier.  He went to take another call and advised an update of our controller.  I've since updated the controller and enabled the bcmc optimization all to no avail.  Stuck now waiting for next steps.

Guru Elite
Posts: 20,777
Registered: ‎03-29-2007

Re: Lost internet connectivity

Please attach the logs to the case, so others will have access to it. If the logs are too big, email will block it.


Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎07-21-2015

Re: Lost internet connectivity

[ Edited ]

Attached are the latest logs.  Thanks

 

<files removed>

Guru Elite
Posts: 20,777
Registered: ‎03-29-2007

Re: Lost internet connectivity

Your logs contain personal information and should not be uploaded here.  They should be uploaded to the support portal at https://support.arubanetworks.com.

 

Your logs show that you rebooted the controller 7 minutes ago, so any historical issues you might have had were wiped out.  What exactly is wrong?



Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: