Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Lots of Broadcast Traffic

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Lots of Broadcast Traffic

Posted Dec 16, 2015 01:34 PM

We're sitting at about 45-65% broadcast frames here and wondering what might be wrong on the Wireless Side.

We have 3 SSIDs,

1) Domain machines - same vlan as our wired network

2) BYOD - VLAN #10

3) Guest - VLAN #11

I believe all areas where Broadcast Suppression are an option to be turned on, they are. In the VAP, in the Stateful Firewall, and in the IP section of the VLAN. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

• 2.  RE: Lots of Broadcast Traffic

Posted Dec 16, 2015 01:53 PM

You can check and see which AP most of the traffic is coming from on the dashboard. This may or may not help you zero in on a solution.

If you can offer up a little more info or any info on applications you may be running we could better help you out.

Broadcast.PNG

• 3.  RE: Lots of Broadcast Traffic

Posted Dec 16, 2015 02:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Checking it out, pretty much every AP has >70% of its Frame Type (to client) being the broadcast type.

• 4.  RE: Lots of Broadcast Traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 16, 2015 02:01 PM
    I would turn on broadcast filter all (drop broadcast and unknown multicast) on all of your virtual APS (all three), if you have not already.

• 5.  RE: Lots of Broadcast Traffic

Posted Dec 16, 2015 02:03 PM

cjoseph - They are all setup that way already. I did, as a test, take it off of all the APs the other day and the network was pretty much unusable (wireless-side)

• 6.  RE: Lots of Broadcast Traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 16, 2015 02:05 PM
    If there is little traffic, the majority of traffic would be broadcasts like the ap beacons. This is not typically a cause for worry.

• 7.  RE: Lots of Broadcast Traffic

Posted Dec 16, 2015 02:11 PM

There is not "little" traffic unfortunately. We have about 1200 clients connected at the moment. It seems like our performance is being hindered here. 

• 8.  RE: Lots of Broadcast Traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 16, 2015 02:19 PM
    You should be looking at the channel utilization, which is the best barometer of if your bandwidth is saturated or not...

• 9.  RE: Lots of Broadcast Traffic

Posted Dec 16, 2015 02:25 PM

No problem, here is a little sample of some of the data.

All of the below are 2.4Ghz - our 5Ghz doesnt have high utilization due to the minimal amounts of 5Ghz devices we currently have.

Checking into the "Channel Busy" list of 30-40%, the following APs:

38% usage - 92% Broadcast Frames

38% usage - 46% Broadcast Frames

30% usage - 21% Broadcast Frames

30% usage - 31% Broadcast Frames

40-50%

49% Usage - 50% Broadcast Frames

41% Usage - 18% Broadcast Frames

70-80%

77% Usage - <1% Frames (Currently have an assembly)

Is this what you are talking about?

• 10.  RE: Lots of Broadcast Traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 16, 2015 02:29 PM

I am assuming that this on on the 2.4ghz band?  If so, there are two things you can do if you have high density:

- Make sure that the max-tx power for ARM on the 2.4ghz band is at 12 or below

- Remove some of the lower transmit rates on your SSID:  Please look at the article here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/Dramatic-utilization-reduction-in-2-4GHz-spectrum/m-p/92186/highlight/true#M2947

• 11.  RE: Lots of Broadcast Traffic

Posted Dec 17, 2015 06:12 AM

We have a higher density of APs in our Secondary buildings, and a lower density in our Primary buildings. Since we havent done this already, I think I'm going to work on creating new AP groups (one for each building) prior to making any adjustments.

• 12.  RE: Lots of Broadcast Traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 17, 2015 06:13 AM

What is your min and max transmit power in your ARM profile on the g band?

• 13.  RE: Lots of Broadcast Traffic

Posted Dec 17, 2015 06:15 AM

Currently 9 and 18 respectively. Prior to yesterday it was 9 and 127.

• 14.  RE: Lots of Broadcast Traffic

Posted Dec 17, 2015 10:46 PM

Ditto on pruning lower data rates.  This is one of the most effective methods to reduce channel utilization on 2.4GHz.

In your high density areas, you could also manually turn radios 2.4 radios off.  The idea is that you're trying to eliminate co-channel interference (CCI) given that you only have channels 1,6,11 available. I would only recommend this if you have a good understanding of RF fundamentals and can validate your coverage with a site survey or spot-check.  Otherwise, you may accidentally reduce coverage and create more problems for yourself.