Wireless Access

MVP

Low EIRP on 11a radios after 6.2 upgrade

[ Edited ]

I recently upgraded to 6.2 and RSSI has been significantly lower for my daily laptop.  After looking into it, I found that the AP I usually associate to is running at a much lower EIRP than usual.  I started checking into other APs and found a downward trend in EIRP for most APs.  On 6.1, most APs were running around 18 - 21.5, but now the average is 12 - 15. My 11a ARM profiles are set to defaults, min/max EIRP are used. These settings were not modified after the upgrade.

I'm not confident that it's a 6.2 issue, but that's the last significant change that been made.  Anyone notice similar behavior on 6.2?  

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
MVP

Re: Low EIRP on 11a radios after 6.2 upgrade

What AOS version are you using ? and APs ?

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
MVP

6.2.1.3 & AP105.

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
MVP

In areas where I have more APs I'm seeing this downward trend.  In areas that contain APs that are less dense, they're running at a much higher EIRP.  I'm going through RF history right now to see if I can spot any trends.

MVP

[ Edited ]

In 6.2 they are added some ARM scanning enhancements for APs with no clients associated so will allow the ARM to calculate it power/channel adjusments much better. 

Also what are you using 20 or 40 Mhz channels ?

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Guru Elite

[ Edited ]

Arm history should tell you why.

If you are using airwave the rf health report will tell you what access points have

thecompnerd wrote:

In areas where I have more APs I'm seeing this downward trend.  In areas that contain APs that are less dense, they're running at a much higher EIRP.  I'm going through RF history right now to see if I can spot any trends.

the most power/channel changes.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

MVP

I'm using 20MHz channels.

It looks like a possible co-channel interference issue.  I'm seeing several APs sharing the same channel on the same floor.  I have client aware enabled and the noise threshold is set to default.  Maybe I'm not giving the APs any opportunity to change channels as a result of these settings.

Guru Elite

If you want to be super-conservative, you can turn of client-aware at night.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

MVP

Good call.  Will do that tonight.

MVP

Disabled client aware last night.  Came back this morning and re-enabled.  Channel reuse is a little bit better, but half of the APs are still operating at 9dBm.  Going to open up a TAC case.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: