Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

MAC address authentication problem

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  MAC address authentication problem

Posted Dec 02, 2012 08:29 PM

My customer has complaint about the MAC address authentication,  when they physically remove the machine from the network the mac address and ip address still on the "Monitoring > Client", it only disappear when perform the command line "aaa user delete mac xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx". But i suspect is the switch of the ARP cache. 

Please advise, have any other root cause?

• 2.  RE: MAC address authentication problem

Posted Dec 02, 2012 08:56 PM

I believe this is just caching and it will eventually go away.  Any user will remain in the clients list for an amount of time after they have disconnected I have found.

I have also seen where clients will stay on the clients list for a longer than normal period when a VAP is configured in bridge mode (sometimes for days after being connected).

• 3.  RE: MAC address authentication problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 02, 2012 10:35 PM
    Jordontin,

It should only stay in the user table for five minutes after it stops passing traffic. If five minutes elapses, the controller attemps to ping it three times. If it does not answer after three times it does not answer, it is removed from the user table. That process can take about five minutes in total.

• 4.  RE: MAC address authentication problem

Posted Dec 02, 2012 10:51 PM

Thanks Jeremy and Joseph.

I will check on that with my customer.

If I Enable "Deny Broadcast Probes and Hide SSID" together with MAC address authentication, does it have any side effect?

• 5.  RE: MAC address authentication problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 02, 2012 10:52 PM

It should not.

• 6.  RE: MAC address authentication problem

Posted Dec 06, 2012 09:33 PM

Does controller perform broadcast ping?