Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

MAC address of ClearPass flapping

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  MAC address of ClearPass flapping

Posted Dec 10, 2015 04:29 PM

First of all, I can't tag this post as NAC or clearpass, so if a moderator could maybe?

I have a ClearPass appliance in two of my datacenter racks. One is primary and the other is for high availability. They are filling up my logs on my core:

12/10/2015 3:16:01 PM Core Warning 453804: Host 0000.5e00.0001 in vlan 7 is flapping between port Po35 and port Po37
    12/10/2015 3:16:01 PM Core Warning 453805: Host 0000.5e00.0002 in vlan 1 is flapping between port Po35 and port Po37

This several times each second. Vlan 1 is management, vlan 7 is data. Is something set up incorrectly in the ClearPass, or is this normal?

Thanks,

Russell

• 2.  RE: MAC address of ClearPass flapping

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 10, 2015 05:05 PM

Hi, 

From the MAC address 0000.5e00.0001 and 0000.5e00.0002, we know it is from a VRRP IP. 

If two different ports are seeing the same MAC address, I think both the devices are in Master role for the same VRRP instance. 

Check if there are any errors in the VRRP configuration. 

Thanks, 

Rajaguru Vincent 

• 3.  RE: MAC address of ClearPass flapping

Posted Dec 23, 2015 02:16 PM

Sorry for the lengthy time between posts, but I was on vacation. While gone, our consultant convied our security team - who is running the NAC project - that the issue is with multicast sparse mode, and want me to create a new vlan just for the vrrp interfaces that doesn't have sparse mode:

Requesting the ClearPass appliances data interfaces be moved to a VLAN that Cisco Sparse Mode multicast is not enabled for.

Does that sound reasonable?

Russell

• 4.  RE: MAC address of ClearPass flapping

Posted Dec 25, 2015 11:39 AM

could be, cant find any directly relevant threads / sources on that, but i doubt it will hurt. i would check Vicent remark on perhaps both being active also.

as for your remark on not being able to tag clearpass, you are posting in the wrong section. if you post in the AAA section you can select clearpass.