Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

MM-VA L3 redundancy + KVM setup question

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  MM-VA L3 redundancy + KVM setup question

Posted Feb 16, 2018 08:43 PM

Two Questions

We have two 7030 controllers I want to run as a cluster for load balancing. We have a Primary MM-VA on esxi in a datacenter and a Secondary MM-VA located onsite at our office running on KVM

I’m assuming L3 redundancy is the best way to go in which case we would setup a primary and a secondary with no standby since those would require layer 2 connection correct?

We have site-to-site VPN active between office and datacenter using Palo Alto Firewalls.

We also have a second office coming online at some point.

Is it ok to have a primary master and secondary with no standby?

Do I need to use VPNC in the controllers for anything?

What’s the deal with BoC?

Is it ok to have MDs offsite?

When I setup MM-VA on KVM the docs say you need two physical NICs and three virtual but when I am setting it up it insists on having three NICs and won’t continue the setup. Is there something I’m missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

• 2.  RE: MM-VA L3 redundancy + KVM setup question
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 23, 2018 03:21 PM

UPDATE:  After talking with support and trying things out I was able to answer all my questions as follows.

1. Having a Primary and Secondary MM-VA is fine, no need for a standby unless you want that third layer of redundancy. Having an MM-VA in a datacenter is perfectly fine with MDs offsite.

2. Depends on what version of MM-VA you install. I have the smallest license size MM-VA 50 but the smallest ISO is for MM-VA 500 so those are the correct specs. 1 nic is for managment, 1 for data, 1 for internet on the host. So yes I needed three physical NICs to install but then I disabled two of them in the guest and it works just fine.