Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

MacOS system profile for 802.1X?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  MacOS system profile for 802.1X?

Posted Jul 18, 2016 02:06 PM

Hi! I'm working with my Active Directory team to try and push a computer certificate to an OSX machine along with a system (not user) profile. With such a configuration, the laptop should be able to authenticate upon booting up before a user logs into the machine.

Has anyone successfully done this? If so, can you be specific and explain how you did this and what tools were required to make it happen?

Much appreciated!

• 2.  RE: MacOS system profile for 802.1X?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 18, 2016 02:18 PM
    You can do this with Apple Configurator or Profile Manager.

• 3.  RE: MacOS system profile for 802.1X?

Posted Jul 18, 2016 02:48 PM
    Profile Manager can't distribute the computer certificates though, right?

I'm also looking for folks that have not only built this but have also sustained operations of it successfully and happily, fwiw.

• 4.  RE: MacOS system profile for 802.1X?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 18, 2016 02:53 PM
    Profile Manager pushes the profiledown(s) to the client or user profile. The profile can have a certificate enrollment configuration.

• 5.  RE: MacOS system profile for 802.1X?

Posted Jul 18, 2016 03:09 PM
    I believe that is based on a user enrollment, no? We need to have no tie-in with the user account.

• 6.  RE: MacOS system profile for 802.1X?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 18, 2016 03:12 PM

• 7.  RE: MacOS system profile for 802.1X?
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 07, 2016 11:57 AM

Closing the loop, we ended up using Centrify to manage group policy on our OSX machines. The mobileconfig profile sent to the device was set for EAP-TLS and also included *all* the certificates, including the root (marked as trusted). Doing it this way auto-associated the device's certificate (also received via Centrify) with the mobileconfig profile.