Wireless Access

Contributor I

Macs Dropping Wifi

We are seeing all our Macs running Lion and Mountain Lion dropping wifi several times a day. Our XP, Win7, and Win8 machines never drop. They all have beautiful signal when they drop. I have tried removing the wifi profile and adding it back. I have even went so far as to clear the PRAM as that seems to be the Mac equivalent to turning it off and on again. Has anyone run into this issue before? We are seeing this happen on all the controllers in our oragnization.

MVP

Re: Macs Dropping Wifi

What Mac OS X version ? 

There's a couple known issues with 10.8.4 and 10.8.5 

What type of authentication ? open or 802.1x ?

Does this happens when those devices are roaming ?

Is the device able to maintain a wireless connection but can't pass any data ?

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Contributor I

Most of our Lion machines are running 10.7.5 and our Mountain Lion machines are running 10.8.5. We are using WPA2 profiles manually added. It happens both while roaming as well as while sitting at their desks. What known issues are you talking about?

MVP

These are some of the cases currently open:

Case # 1442247
Case #1448966

What we have seen is that the device maintains its association to the AP and it still shows up in the user-table but it's not able to reach anything on the network :

- not able to ping its gateway

- not able to ping any device on that segment
- cant browse or ssh 

But when you do a packet capture you can see that there's communication going on
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Contributor I

I'm assuming these are Aruba Case issues. So do they believe this is an Aruba problem or an Apple problem.

MVP

These are Apple related cases..

Supposedly those issues will be resolved with OS X 10.9.x

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Contributor I

Do you have a link to these cases so I can look over them and pass them along to our support staff?

MVP

Unfortuntaly I don't , this were provided by TAC

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Frequent Contributor II

I've seen our Mac clients drop off of our 802.1x networks if they switch APs. If I'm sitting in a room with numerous APs and my Mac decides with switch APs it will ask them to authenticate again and lose connection. However if I closet laptop and move to anothe part of the building then open my laptop again it will reconnect just fine. The computer just can't roam while it is not sleeping. My iOS devices roam freely on our 802.1x with no need to ever reauthenticate. Wish I could say the same about my Mac OS machines.
Guru Elite

morrisch@alliancecityschools.org wrote:
I've seen our Mac clients drop off of our 802.1x networks if they switch APs. If I'm sitting in a room with numerous APs and my Mac decides with switch APs it will ask them to authenticate again and lose connection. However if I closet laptop and move to anothe part of the building then open my laptop again it will reconnect just fine. The computer just can't roam while it is not sleeping. My iOS devices roam freely on our 802.1x with no need to ever reauthenticate. Wish I could say the same about my Mac OS machines.

morrisch@alliancecityschools.org,

"If I am sitting in a room with numerous APs.."  -- Is that 3 or more access points?  How many rooms do you have numerous  APs in?.. Could wifi saturation be the key to your issue?

- Please open a ticket of your own.  Ticket numbers from other customers are not useful because Aruba needs to treat each situation individually.  In addition, we cannot pass personal information from one customer to another without their permission.  Lastly, the ticket numbers mentioned above are closed.

- Keep us updated on your progress.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: