Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Master Active Master Stand By or Master and local

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Master Active Master Stand By or Master and local

Posted Jan 13, 2013 07:29 PM

Which would be the best?

Let say you have 2 3600 and you would like redundancy and you just got those 2

Guest on the

Master Stand By i could do VRRP between them and if one Fail then the APs will fail over the Stand By one... and ill still be able to configure it.

With the master local, if the master fail then the problem is that i wont be able to configure anything until the new controller arrive...

It seems the first one is the best

The thing is that i dont find it on the VRD as an scenario  or valid scenario.   And i dont have equipments to tets this...

Any Adivise from Aruba Experts? :)

• 2.  RE: Master Active Master Stand By or Master and local

Posted Jan 14, 2013 06:05 AM

It really depends on the deployment in my opinion.

Whilst the master / master redundancy gives you the ability to continure to be able to make changes to the configuration having a master / local also gives you many advantages.

Double the; firewall throughput, encrypted thoughput, availalbe switchports, max clients, etc.

If you need the resources then master / local makes them available.

... but like I said, it depends on the deployment. :smileyhappy:

• 3.  RE: Master Active Master Stand By or Master and local

Posted Jan 14, 2013 07:34 AM

Now i got another quesiton

Let say i would like master redundancy and ill terminate the APS on a local A-A redundancy

How do you calculate which controllers you should use for masters? whihch are on active and standby? i mean they just got the config and in any way they wont terminate any AP as i already got  a redundancy on the local controllers...

IN this case i would have 2 3600 on locals on A-A

Now on the master Active and master stand by how do you calculate which Controller you should have up there? if it just handleling the configuration and the other list of thing but he is not actually  terminating APS can it be  smaller model? in this case 2 3200 or in fact could be 2 650? hahahhaha i think they would be able to afford the 650s

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: Master Active Master Stand By or Master and local

Posted Jan 14, 2013 07:56 AM

You can use a 6xx controller as Master, it really depends on the actual environment, the number of devices and users which need to be managed. You can check the "Aruba Mobility Controller" VRD which helps you to choose the right controller (page 62). You will also need 1 license on the master to activate the features (pefng, pefv, rfprotect, xsec, advanced crypto - depends on what is used on the locals - no ap license needed).

• 5.  RE: Master Active Master Stand By or Master and local

Posted Jan 14, 2013 07:59 AM

And you also need to consider the future OS availability on the controllers. For example the 6xx will not support AppRF functionality because of insufficient resources.