Wireless Access

Contributor II

Master / Backup Master Failover effect

Hi, all,

We would like to know what will the effect on APs when connection betweeen Master and Backup Master Failed:

We have two sites,

Site A;

1 master and 1 local controller, and some APs connected to local controller.

Site B:

1 Master backup and 1 local controller, and some APs connected to local controller.

Site A are connected Site B via one Metro E.

So if the connection between Site A and Site B are broken,i.e. both site becomes isolated,  the master controllers will come active, and the Site B local controller will failover to Master Backup on Site-B.

We would like to know what will happen when the connections resumed subsequently? Will it cause issues for local controller and AP on site-B?

Thank you for the help!

Guru Elite

Re: Master / Backup Master Failover effect

Failover only happens when the connection between an access point and the controller it is on currently on is broken.  Controllers losing contact with each other does not trigger a failover.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor II

I think you have mis-understand my question. I should state the question as follow.

If you siteA - SiteB connection is broken, the backup-master become active, and the local controller on site-B will contact backup-master as it cannot access to the active-master in Site-A.

So my quesiton is what will be happens when the connection between the two sites resumed again?

regards,

Wilson

Guru Elite

The requirement for the backup master is that it needs to be on the same layer 2 vlan as the master.  Are you saying that two different sites have the same VLAN?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor II

Yes, a commond VLAN is been set across the sites.

Guru Elite

A Master and Backup Master need to be in the same subnet to work.  Are you saying you have the same subnet at two sites?

Colin Joseph

Contributor II

Yes, both in sam subnet and same VLAN.

Guru Elite

This may not be part of your question, but if you have a connectivity issue between the two sites and the master and backup master cannot see each other, they will both think that they are the master.  Typically a master and backup master are at the same site to avoid that situation.

Colin Joseph

Contributor II

Colin, understand what you are saying! My question is what will happen after the connection were resumed? Will the local on siteB fallback to mater in SiteA?

Guru Elite

Do you have the locals pointed to the VRRP between the master/backup pair?

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: