Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Master Controller Upgrade -- Configuration Files

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Master Controller Upgrade -- Configuration Files

Posted Aug 16, 2016 02:04 PM

I am attempting to upgrade my Master and Local controllers from 6.4.2.6 to 6.4.4.9. My Master Controller is currently running 6.4.2.6 and before I upgrade it, I wanted to set up the Configuration Files option and have it point to my FTP server where I have ONLY the latest images that will be used to upgrade. But when I click verify, the Master Controller shows me images that it is currently running and not the images that are on my FTP server. Why is that? Will it only show the images for the current AOS that it is running? Will it actually go and grab the latest images once I upgrade the Master to the latest firmware?

And a second question...when I upgrade the Local Controllers, will it install the latest firmware on the INACTIVE Partition and then boot from it (reserving the boot partition with the older firmware in case of rollback), or does it simply install it onto the current Boot partition and overwrite the older firmware? On some of my Local Controllers, the Inactive Boot partition has even an older version (like 6.3.1.X), so I really want to make sure that if I needed to roll back, I could still boot back into the 6.4.2.6 that we are currently running. 

Thanks. 

• 2.  RE: Master Controller Upgrade -- Configuration Files

Posted Aug 16, 2016 07:26 PM

You'll want to follow the upgrade guide in the release notes

Essentially:

Copy the new image to the inactive partition, then set to boot to use that partition and reboot.

A more detailed answer will require more information about your specific arrangement.

• 3.  RE: Master Controller Upgrade -- Configuration Files

Posted Aug 29, 2016 11:41 AM

MSabin, when I use the Master Controller to push out the new image, will be pushed to the Inactive Partition of the Local Controllers, or will it just push it to the Active Partition? I need to know this especially because the Incative partitions on local controllers are not running the current version that the Active is, and if I needed to roll back, I would need to roll back to what the Active partition was running. Does that make sense? (It does in my head...)

• 4.  RE: Master Controller Upgrade -- Configuration Files

Posted Aug 29, 2016 12:04 PM

I can't answer the question directly since I haven't ever used the master to push - I did a manual push to each controller in the past, and use Airwave to make the upgrade now.

The process has always been "upgrade the inactive, change boot partition and reboot into new version" which is what I expect from the master - I just can't confirm from personal experience that it does.

• 5.  RE: Master Controller Upgrade -- Configuration Files

Posted Aug 29, 2016 12:06 PM

Okay, I will give it a shot on one local controller and see what it does. I will report back. Will be a couple weeks possibly.