Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Master/Local Architecture

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  Master/Local Architecture

Posted Feb 09, 2014 11:20 PM

In Master/Local Controller architucture , what happens if Local fails and vice verse ? Can access points connected to local Controller will join Master if local fails or other way around ?

Appreciate your help.

Irfan

• 2.  RE: Master/Local Architecture
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 09, 2014 11:30 PM

In a master/local architecture all controllers share a common wireless configuration.  Changes made on the master are pushed to each local.    If you have two controllers (one master and one local), you can decide whether to operate in an active/active or active/passive configuration when it comes to AP termination points.

If you have APs terminating on your local controller and the master goes down, you can continue to have APs terminate on the local and operate.   In the same setup, if the local fails, the APs can fail to the master so long as you have a backup LMS defined in your AP system profile or you are using VRRP between the master and local as the primary LMS.

More detailed information on redundancy can be found in the Mobility Controlers VRD, Chapter 5:

http://www.arubanetworks.com/vrd/ControllerVRD/Chap5.html

• 3.  RE: Master/Local Architecture

Posted Feb 13, 2014 06:46 PM

Thanks for help.

• 4.  RE: Master/Local Architecture

Posted Aug 26, 2014 02:20 PM

So what is Aruba recommended setup for a network with 2 Controller. Obe s ould go with 2xMaster operating in Active/Standby or One should proceed with Master/Local setup?

• 5.  RE: Master/Local Architecture

Posted Apr 11, 2017 03:09 AM

Sorry to bring up this thread from the past, but I'm in the middle of an Aruba deployment, and the ArubaOS manual isn't really clear on that topic, at least not for me.

We have two Aruba 7030 controllers (only one configured right now), and some 50 APs, and I'm not sure which route to go for redundancy.

Master Redundancy / HA Groups / Local Redundancy? All of them? 

EDIT: Never mind, I should open a new thread.