Wireless Access

Super Contributor I

Master - Local

Hi Team:

Backup LMS IP can be used for topologie Master-Local?

Regards,

Guru Elite

Re: Master - Local

If the controllers are in different subnets, then yes, you can use backup-lms as a redundancy option. This happens at L3 instead of L2 with VRRP. The AP has to reboot. 

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Occasional Contributor II

Hello Tim,

Thanks for this answer. So I guess that for a Master-Local topology L3 connectivity between the two controllers is sufficient, right?

I ask this because I have a project with two Mobility Controllers. We are hesitating between a Master / Backup Topology (Need of L2 connectivity) and a Master / Local Topology (Apparently L3 connectivity is sufficient).

Customer would like to install the WLC inside two different sites (with L3 connectivity only) for a DRP plan. I'm just wondering what is the impact of using Master Local instead of Master / Master backup.

In that conditions are the following sentences correct?

-With Master-Local, we can use a kind of active:active topology (terminating some AP on the master and some other on the local) which is not the case with Master-Backup.

-Redundancy and move of the AP on the recovery controller will take more time with the Master-Local (L3) design because an AP reboot is needed (via backup LMS). With the Master / Master as we are using VRRP and L2 not reboot required, failover much more efficient.

-In case the master goes down, we loose ARM but APs still continue working on the local during 30 days (licenses)

All your other remarks are welcome,

Best regards,

Jérôme

Guru Elite

All 3 are true, however when using HA fast failover, 2 only applies if you failover to a 3rd non-HA controller. 

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: