Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Master - Local

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Master - Local

Posted Jan 08, 2015 06:53 PM

Hi Team:

Backup LMS IP can be used for topologie Master-Local?

Regards,

• 2.  RE: Master - Local

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 08, 2015 06:59 PM
    If the controllers are in different subnets, then yes, you can use backup-lms as a redundancy option. This happens at L3 instead of L2 with VRRP. The AP has to reboot. 

• 3.  RE: Master - Local

Posted May 24, 2016 02:45 AM

Hello Tim,

Thanks for this answer. So I guess that for a Master-Local topology L3 connectivity between the two controllers is sufficient, right?

I ask this because I have a project with two Mobility Controllers. We are hesitating between a Master / Backup Topology (Need of L2 connectivity) and a Master / Local Topology (Apparently L3 connectivity is sufficient).

Customer would like to install the WLC inside two different sites (with L3 connectivity only) for a DRP plan. I'm just wondering what is the impact of using Master Local instead of Master / Master backup.

In that conditions are the following sentences correct?

-With Master-Local, we can use a kind of active:active topology (terminating some AP on the master and some other on the local) which is not the case with Master-Backup.

-Redundancy and move of the AP on the recovery controller will take more time with the Master-Local (L3) design because an AP reboot is needed (via backup LMS). With the Master / Master as we are using VRRP and L2 not reboot required, failover much more efficient.

-In case the master goes down, we loose ARM but APs still continue working on the local during 30 days (licenses)

All your other remarks are welcome,

Best regards,

Jérôme

• 4.  RE: Master - Local

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 24, 2016 06:18 AM
    All 3 are true, however when using HA fast failover, 2 only applies if you failover to a 3rd non-HA controller.