Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Master Redunancy and Local Redundancy at same time?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Master Redunancy and Local Redundancy at same time?

Posted Apr 04, 2013 04:13 PM

Ok, I've poured over the VRDs for campus design till my eyes are crossing, and still not able to get this right. It might be that what I am trying to do just can't be done this way so I'm asking for help on my design...

Here's the setup:

• (1) chassis with (3) controllers, all 6000s. Aruba_Master, Aruba_Local1, and Aruba_Local2
    • VRRP instance 42 is configured between Master and Local 1
    • The VIP for instance 42 is what the DNS (A) record for aruba-master points at.
    • Master and Local1 are configured in Master/Standby and that is working fine. Database sync is working, VRRP is working. 
    • Total of about 480 APs in our network. We have licenses split between the three controllers 256/256/256. 
    • Each of the locals get about half the APs. So about 240 to Local1, 240 to Local2.

What I want to do is set up two more VRRP instances:  Local1 <-> Master,  and Local2 <-> Master. Then have that single virtual IP be the primary LMS on those two system policies, rather than using primary and backup LMS ips.

However, if I try to do that on Controller1, which is currently the backup master, the APs all go into a reboot cycle and claim they cannot connect to the VIP for that VRRP instance, even though I can ping it and I can SSH to it and reach the Local1 controller using that VIP.

What am I missing? On a possibly related note, I now see that all the APs configured to use Local1 as primary LMS and Master as backup LMS are heading to Master instead of Local1. So Local1 has 0 APs registered to it despite the reboots.

Aruba Redundancy VRRP example.png

Edit:  Software is 6.1.3.6-AirGroup_37387 on all three controllers.

• 2.  RE: Master Redunancy and Local Redundancy at same time?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2013 05:25 PM

A Backup master cannot terminate APs, period.

• 3.  RE: Master Redunancy and Local Redundancy at same time?

Posted Apr 04, 2013 05:31 PM

Welp, that answers that then. Hmm. So how to set up redunancy for the APs then? Ideas?

And here's another question...

If I leave the licenses on the standby master, will it accept APs in the event of the primary Master failing? 

That would be silly, as I doubt I can have a VRRP instance monitoring another VRRP IP.

• 4.  RE: Master Redunancy and Local Redundancy at same time?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2013 05:43 PM

If the primary fails, the access points that are pointed to the VRRP will then be accepted by the backup.

In your current scenario, you only have two targets:  the VRRP and the ip address of local2.  In the first AP-Group, the LMS-IP is the VRRP.  In the second AP-Group the LMS-IP is the ip address of local2.  If you make it a single master and two locals, you can theoretically have access points on all three controllers, but no backup for your master.

Consider this option:

If you want to talk a design that makes all of your 6000  capacity, put in place 2 3200s as master/backup with minimal licensing and make the VRRP between them answer to aruba-master.  Make all of your remaining 6000s locals to the 3200s.  The 3200s will then redirect your access points based on ap-group  to the 3 6000s in a number of N+1 scenarios, if you would like.  Please speak to an Aruba Engineer who knows your network to see if this would even be feasible with your current setup.

• 5.  RE: Master Redunancy and Local Redundancy at same time?

Posted Apr 04, 2013 05:54 PM

Ok, so I guess our best bet is to buy another 256 licenses, and have 256 free on either end of Master VRRP <> Local2 with the load just split between the two of them.? We had originally split it this way to reduce cost by having to only buy 150% of total capacity instead of 200%

If I did that, then:

- Master failure = Local1 becomes Master, Local1 takes Master's half of the APs.

- Local 2 failure = Master takes all APs.

- Local 1 failure = no effect, except that Master has no backup.

Problem with your dual 3200 proposal is that our chassis only has four slots. Hrm. 

Something like this?Aruba Redundancy VRRP example 2.png

• 6.  RE: Master Redunancy and Local Redundancy at same time?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2013 06:04 PM

@TESC-DanScherck wrote:

Ok, so I guess our best bet is to buy another 256 licenses, and have 256 free on either end of Master VRRP <> Local2 with the load just split between the two of them.? We had originally split it this way to reduce cost by having to only buy 150% of total capacity instead of 200%

If I did that, then:

- Master failure = Local1 becomes Master, Local1 takes Master's half of the APs.

- Local 2 failure = Master takes all APs.

- Local 1 failure = no effect, except that Master has no backup.

Problem with your dual 3200 proposal is that our chassis only has four slots. Hrm. 

The 3200s are single-U controllers that do not fit into a chassis.  They would not be in the chassis.  They would exist simply to answer access points that come up and route half to controller #1, and half to controller#2.  Controller #3 would be the backup LMS for both AP-Groups and function as the +1 in the N+1

Please check with your local SE to see if this would even be feasible.