Wireless Access

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Master controller scalability

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Master controller scalability

Posted Aug 23, 2017 09:44 AM
    We have read that in an all-master model consisting of two master controllers, the backup master cannot terminate any APs. Additionally the active master controller may face scalability limits when it terminates a large number of APs. We are deploying two 7220 controllers and due to licensing reasons, we will need to use the centralized liensing server feature. In order to have backup for the licenscing server, we are leaning towards deploying the controllers in an all-master model, where we will also have a backup licesencing server. Only a master controller can be a licensing server. We have approximately 800 APs, and the 7220 supports 1024. Should we be concerned for potential scale issues if all 800 APs are terminated on the active master controller? Note that in our deployment, no PEF-NG licensing is used, so the controller will not be performing any stateful firewall functions.

• 2.  RE: Master controller scalability

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 23, 2017 10:21 AM

@nbenis wrote:
    We have read that in an all-master model consisting of two master controllers, the backup master cannot terminate any APs. 

Where did you read that?

• 3.  RE: Master controller scalability

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 23, 2017 10:39 AM

If a controller is in the 'backup-master' or 'backup' role, it will not terminate any APs. Once it's role changes to 'Master' (assuming the primary master failed), then it will begin terminating APs. 

If you have two separate standalone master controllers, where they are both in the 'master' role and you are terminating APs on both and manually syncing the config (or using AirWave), then both masters would be able to termiate APs. 

• 4.  RE: Master controller scalability

Posted Aug 23, 2017 06:39 PM
    Hello and thank you for your quick response.
    On the primary master that in my case is a 7220 controller can i terminate 800 APs or are there any scalability concerns?
    I know that the specs refer that can terminate 1024 APs but the primary master controller has also other responsibilities expect termination of the APs.

Thank you.

• 5.  RE: Master controller scalability

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 23, 2017 06:57 PM

Previous controllers before the 7000 series would have issues being a master controller and terminating APs.  The 7000 series does not have an issue doing so, based on what I have seen.

• 6.  RE: Master controller scalability

Posted Aug 23, 2017 07:07 PM
    Thank you for your quick response.
    So from your experience i can terminate up to 1024 APs without any issue ? Or what is the maximum you have see?

Thank you.

• 7.  RE: Master controller scalability
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 23, 2017 07:21 PM

1024 APs, but you should typically only have 80% of the limits for a controller that is doing double-duty.